Iris ID Needed Please

Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hoping someone will be able to id this iris. Was here when we bought the house. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Jen_D
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Both appear to be older diploids of the type I am collecting for an "oldie" garden.
Measure the average height of the bloom stalks and the approximate bloom time
as compared to newer irises. They can be loosely identified by these traits. I
would be happy to buy a couple of rz's of each sample and pay shipping costs.
I would go $2 to $3 each plus shipping.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html

This is where you can go to ID this iris. I believe that it is called Solid Mahogany or Red Douglas. Could be Dauntless or Pear Rouge. Check and see what you think. bob

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Jen,
Did we get this one in our swap?

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I've looked further and really think that this iris is named Red Douglas. bob

Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Mittsy~ You may have. Some were included, but it was a mix cause most didn't bloom this year. Only one did actually! If you didn't get it and want it, I should be able to tell where more are in the spring after they start blooming.

Bob~ Thank you! Will check that out shortly!

I love the old historicals, they smell lovely, always perform and can take a lot of neglect . They usually produce so many flowers that I don't feel bad about cutting them for bouquets to share.

Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Bob~ I am stuck between The Red Douglas and Dauntless. I have added anouther pic if you don't mind taking anouther look ; ) Thank you for all you help! Your awsome Bob!

Mittsy~ This one does bloom and bloom. Only one out of all my iris bloomed this spring, but boy did it bloom! Maybe you would want to take a look also at the ones I am stuck between. Different pictures of each of them look so close to mine, its so hard for me to tell.. but I think we might have this one solved soon!

Thumbnail by Jen_D
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Looks like my Solid Mahogany.
Winni

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 8:57 AM

Thumbnail by winnietn

It's hard to tell from your photo winnie but are your iris's falls dog earred or do they stand out from the center?

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Mittsy,
I think they are standing out from the center.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Dauntless is a lighter shade. Definitely Red Douglas. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Winni: I agree they are so similar but I see a difference in the falls with Red Douglas being slightly darker. Red Doulas, Dauntless, Solid Mahogany, and Pear Rouge all are so close and very common in my area. It's really hard to be specific. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Ok! Now that I have my glasses on I can see a little better. LOL. Here is a pic of my Dauntless.

Thumbnail by winnietn
Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you everyone! Was hoping adding the extra pic might help, hope it did! I will mark it as Red Douglas. I was just stumped between those two.

Those are some pretty iris you guys have! Is that Dauntless Bob? Or something else? Very pretty!!

THANKS!!

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Lavender Lace

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Bob!
Lavender Lace is beautiful. Don't think I've seen that one before.
Winni

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Jen,
Hope you don't mind me throwing my pic up here also for comparison. I've had this one since mid 80's when an older friend of mine gave it to me. Beautiful strong grower and very fragrant. BUT, I dont' know the name either. Looks almost like yours. What do you think?
Thanks,
Laura

Thumbnail by sempervi
St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's another view. Thank you very much.
Laura

Thumbnail by sempervi
Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

I enlarged your pic and pulled up my pics and compared them side by side. Yours is much purpler. It is very pretty, and who doesn't love a fragrent iris! Do you have any idea of how old it is?

Jen

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Laura,
Check out Othella, Here's a pic of mine.
Winni

Thumbnail by winnietn
St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Winni,
Thanks, I will.

Jen,
Not sure. She gave it to me in the early to mid 80's, so...?

Thanks,
Laura

Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Laura,
Could it be Lent A. Williamson? http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html Have a look and see what you think!

Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.