Annual propogation

Roslyn, NY

I'd love to overwinter coleus, strobilanthes and sweet potato vine. Has anyone here done so?

Also, I grow a lot of pennisetum rubrum each year. Can the seeds be harvested and is it easy to get them started indoors next spring? THanks!

Hi Damian,yes I always overwinter my coleus'
It is a wonderful houseplant for me in the
winter in my livingroom or where there is
bright light'I take cuttings all winter and
put them out in the soil for summer.Also
add to my containers for color'I haven't
overwintered the others you asked about though'
Hope this helps some'Sis'

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

im glad coleous can be over wintered im about ready to get some.....i hope someone answers about the sweet potato vine...i have a tri color one in a pot and plan on bringing it in this winter as i do all my plants, including my strobilanthes....:)

cindy

Park Hill, OK(Zone 5b)

I have done sweet potato vine. Take the tubers in and keep cool and dry. Plant next year.
We have always started our eating sweet potatoes in a small cold frame. Dig out dirt a foot or so, add 2-4" of fresh horse manure from stall, mixed with straw or sawdust, and cover with 4 or so " of good dirt, lay potatoes, and just barely cover with soil. The manure will heat up and make a great heat mat. They will sprout all over. Remove individual plants gently and plant in garden. A thought on regular sweet potatoes - New potatoes grow below the original, so we always planted on top of mounds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.