Late Summer - What do you have blooming?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This Blue delphinum is starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The cosmos are blooming everwhere. Love it when the sun shines through them.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Found this crazy looking cucumber this morning. He needs to uncurl and stretch out!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Dahlia

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Posted this on the Macro forum, but check out the pollen on this bee! He has been working some O.T.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I love my butterfly bush! Funny thing - it was pink, then about three years ago it died in a hard winter. The next year I found a seedling a few feet away. So I moved it to the back yard - now it's purple!

Never had a purple one, no neighbors have any, just a strange occurrence! I saw a real pretty blue one at a garden center last week. Didn't know they came in blue.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I've been following along enjoying everyone's beautiful blooms. I just haven't had a nything new to show, there's a lot blooming just nothing new. Well I finally have one new bloom Clethra Ruby Spice, I wish we had smell-a-vision, they smell absolutely wonderful!

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Oh yes and my 3 different types of phlox are coming into their own as well. Here is the wild type of Paniculata, with coneflowers next to it.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

My lillies have bortyris?spelling but here is one of my faves Tom Pouce. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Okay I'm looking through my pictures and I realize there is more new stuff than I thought! lol - I'll post some more tomorrow : )

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lovely photos. I love the collages. All my roses, some yellow daylilies, several lantana, allysum, moss roses. Pretty much everything that has been blooming since Spring. But the hollyhocks are cut back and the larkspurs pulled up. In their place the cosmos that self seeded are now blooming in orange.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Zinnias have been blooming the last few weeks.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I spread compost in the beds and some squash and canteloupes came up. I let a few stay and am now enjoying eating from the cottage garden. ; )

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Canteloupe, catnip blooming (gotta deadhead that!) snapdragons.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

This little ageratum quit blooming in the heat at the first of August. I cut it back and after our rains, it is back. Sweet allysum and a rose in this photo too I think!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Another shot with the cosmos and one of my barrels of moss rose (portulaca) They are very good for pots here where we have very dry air.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

LOvely cactus patch, I can send my kitty over to deadhead that catnip if you like. He won't leave much plant left for you though lol. ; )

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

cactuspatch - I'm assuming you don't have cats, because of the size of that catnip!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

A little too much morning sun, but I love this combo of magenta phlox, blue balloon flower, and tiger lilies.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

And, here's my mutant balloon flower 'nanus'. (dwarf variety)

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 10:36 AM

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

LOL! I have 4 cats who nibble and at it and roll in it but they are inside cats so it gives it a chance to recoup! I have 3 or 4 actually as they roll in it and plant it all over the place.

Just took a few more photos as today is overcast and cool with more rain coming. Great light for photos. This is a moss rose combo that is my fav--I have always loved pink and orange (yep child of the 60's!)

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

My Gateway Joe Pye Weed is looking pretty nice amongst the Rudbeckia. It's the dog days of summer here in the deep south!

Thumbnail by erdooley

Cactus patch I love that color combo as well! Very pretty : )

erdooley, Your joe pye and rudbeckia looks wonderful and I bet the butterflies love it too!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful late summer blooms, everyone!

Although I was bummed earlier in the summer about being behind getting seedlings in the ground, now that the dog days of summer are here I thrilled to see so many annuals coming into their own. In past years my garden has looked rather ratty and tired by this time.

This combo is one example that I'm finding delightful now. The tall blooms of Italian white sunflowers, Cleome, and Kiss me over the Garden gate have worked together better than I ever imagined! All were wintersown.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2008 11:51 AM

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Dahlias, glads, and agastache aren't minding the heat at all.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lilies provided the early summer color in this bed, and now the wintersown Tithonias, Zinnias, Marigolds, and Ox Eye Orange (gold actually) sunflowers are putting on a show.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Gemini sage, Beautiful pictures! Question: When you "winter sow" your seeds, how is it that they make it to spring without dying? Or are you starting the seeds indoors? Or do they not even sprout until spring? I know, maybe it's a silly question, but I'm trying to learn more about growing from seed, since it gets expensive buying plants! Thanks!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Petunia and roses

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

erdooley, thanks a bunch! Wintersowing is a method of seed starting that I've been using the last couple of years with amazing results, its practically fool proof, and fantastic for beginners in seed starting. We have a whole forum devoted to wintersowing now:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

Check out the info in the first post where most of your questions will be answered. Many seeds germinate better when they've gone through cycles of freezing and thawing, and naturally "know" when to wake up and start growing in the spring. I haven't purchased a single plant this year- everything was started from seed, most using this method. I can't imagine how much I would have spent if I'd purchased the plants I've put out this year- its a huge money saver, and lots of fun too!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree gemini. I do the same. Isn't it fantastic?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I don't winter sow, but the seeds that drop from my plants in November and are not eaten by the birds are the ones that come up in Spring. Mostly cosmos, zinnias and larkspurs. So I would guess those would do well for you in this process?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

anemone

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

artichoke in bloom

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

sweetpea

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Absolutely Cactus! By wintersowing them, we determine where we will plant them and protect them from the critters and nature.

Everyones' blooms are beautiful! Here is some obedient plant and wild bergamont.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

And my cana I grew from seed this year are blooming. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Clematis, "Queen of Holland"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Daylily, "Respighi"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Japanese Morning Glory, "Velvet Plum"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.