Rudbeckia version of Tomato Soup - New ones 2009

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Harris Seeds sent me their new catalog. This is the rudbeckia version of tomato soup - Cherry Brandy

http://www.harrisseeds.com/Storefront/p-12906-rudbeckia-cherry-brandy.aspx

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Tiger Eye isn't quite macaroni and cheese, but it is nice.

http://www.harrisseeds.com/Storefront/p-13085-rudbeckia-tiger-eye.aspx

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Tiger Eye looks pretty nice!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

These are both real beauties.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

These are really pretty. They are annuals? Thanks for showing us.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2008 4:09 PM

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow. Got to have that Cherry Brandy. A real beauty; I had not heard of it. Thanks!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

On second thought, after looking at the Harris Seed website, I'll have to go in business selling them since the smallest qty is 250 seeds for $10.50. Does DG have a seed co-op? I've never participated in one, but will look around....

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

cedar that does seem high for seeds to me.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it is high. And I can't use that many! I did look under coops but did not find an open seed one. I don't think I'm brave enough to undertake 'doing' one since I haven't even participated in a co op.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I sure would like to get those seeds as well. Anybody want to go halves or quarters. If so, I'll order them and you can send in your share when I send your half or quarter to you...

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

jmorth, I'll go in for a quarter share. Thanks!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sounds good cedar, I'll let this stand a day or two to see if anyone else is interested.

I could do a quarter share.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

great nanny,
one more quarter to go...

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I can take the final quarter! Thanks, Samantha

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Ok...I'll order the packet, divide it upon delivery, and forward the seeds. Upon delivery you can send me quarter of price plus shipping. I'll dmail all for addresses.
J

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, j! Samantha

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Great. J of IL. I just added it to my journal on DG.

Alrighty!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

darn!!!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I say "darn" too Dori! In fact after pulling up the Harris site there are a few others that I think I'd like to have too. I may consider doing a small co-op with these and will post back here if I decide to go ahead with it.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I think that is a wonderful idea! I vote for a coop!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm still considering it Penne, but I'm a bit confused. My experience with Rudbeckia is limited, never having grown anything but the standard Black Eyed Susan. When I followed the link I saw the note in the description saying that they should be treated as annuals in most parts of the country. I don't exactly live in the tropics and have no problems with the Susan...are there diffent types of r. hirta and if so I'm trying to figure out how to determine which will be annual and which will be perennial cold old Ohio.

These will be annuals...the hope being that they will reseed themselves.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Nanny, I am very close to Putnam county....hello neighbor! Thanks for the scoop of the annual vs. perennial debate. I'll definitely let you all know if (I should probably say when) I get myself organized for a purchase.

Hey ...alright...now I will tell you that these seeds are v-e-r-y tiny. SO might want to keep that in mind...so you don't lose yours! LOL

Downers Grove, IL

I see that these are available 100 seeds for $6.80 from Hazzards Greenhouse. They list it as a perennial.

Here's a link.
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/
look for item number R8099

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I would guess it's a perennial down to about zone 4 or 5. I purchased the Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia seeds from Hazzardsgreenhouse.com and planted them August 10th. Here's a photo of what they're looking like as of today (Sept 14). Totally agree with everyone here that they're a unique nice looking flower.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

keep us updated!!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I ordered these seeds. They were expensive, but I'll sell some of them at the farmer's market to pay for them. If I sell 2 at 5 bucks a piece, I will pay for all 250 seeds! I figure many people would buy these. They are beautiful!

They do look beautiful in pictures echinaceamaniac. I'll post a picture when I get my first blooms in a month or so. Heres a picture I took today of one of my first blooms on another relatively new version grown from seed called Rudbeckia "Cappuccino". I measured the bloom and its 7 inches across!!!

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Wow Jon, That is beautiful! I'll have to get that one too!

Thanks echinaceamaniac. I can't get the size of the blooms. They're practically like Sunflower size. The only thing I'm not sure of yet is the plants branching characteristics. That's going to take some more time I guess. The first blooms were on very short stems but perhaps that will change as the plant matures more.

Jon

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Amorecuore,

Where did you get your cappucinno seeds from? I checked Harris Seed's website. They have cappucino, but they list it as 4" accross.

http://www.harrisseeds.com/Storefront/p-13055-rudbeckia-cappuccino.aspx

Some of the rudeckia that I grew this year looks similiar to this, but it wasn't a "named" plant. It was listed as rubeckia hirta. I'm not sure how they might cross breed when different ones are planted together, but I had three or four different ones grown from different seeds together in the same bed. It will be interesting to see what happens when a red flower is thrown into the mix.

Hi pennefeather. I have some like the ones in your picture that I bought this summer as a potted plant at Home Depot. The ones with the green centers look like Rudbeckia "Prairie Sun"....I believe. I bought my Rudbeckia "Cappuccino" seeds from parkseed.com. Here's a new picture of the same bloom from 4 days ago.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Just in case any one is interested in some Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia seeds. I ordered me some more last week. http://www.tmseeds.com/?er=overus;term=thompson

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

lol

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

how is germination for those of you with the cherry brandy seeds?

i am beginning to think i am doing something incorrectly as my germ. rate is very low so far.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thats not good to hear
i will have to check into temps n lighting b4 i try it!

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i put mine on a heat mat (supposedly germinates at 75 to 80 and needs no further strat) and out of 100 seeds i have 5 seedlings so far. very disappointing.

i am going to move one of the flats out into the cold frame and let it fend for itself and leave the other in the heated greenhouse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.