July Blooms, part IV

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

There were over 200 posts so decided to start a new thread. My camera is acting up.......think I did something to the settings which I don't understand.

My first Shenandoah's Something Special
don't know who to thank for the leaf

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I used to call this 'Strawberry Froth' until I was informed she really had the name of Poochie

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

A good old reliable Ruby always in bloom.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

A favorite of mine is Bristol's Very Berry. Brenda sent me a leaf of Candy Ribbons..........can't wait for her babies. Love the mess in the middle of any bloom.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Emily (my first one)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Northwood's Purple Lightening first bloom

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

sorry.........repeat

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

yeah.....my last leaf of Dracula's Shadow finally took....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think maybe Bristol's Party Boy.......corrections are welcomed

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Crystal Dawn's first bloom.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

see that little 'extra' in the center! I love that! Al's Pal

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the very last plant of Snowrose's seedlings from Iced Pink Flamingo.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Raspberry Truffles

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Salmon Sunset

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Unidentified purple that Jan loves!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Blue Mars

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Check out the size of this Columnea 'Bonfire' that LL sent with my order........wish the streps were in bloom but they are not!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Look what I found at the grocery store the other day. The floral department thought that an orchid without fresh flowers was a giveaway for 1.50 each........I almost died! I bought 4 of them.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

see the 1.50 white tags (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

What a steal on those orchids gail...how lucky can you get...oooo I am loving your strep pics too..i couldn't pick a favorite of your strep iics if my life depended on it!..all are awesome! I have a few new bloomers to post today too..
1st Bristol's Fish Lips..lol..silly name I know..but beautiful bloom I think...

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

2nd I love this one..Atsu Hama japanese strep..got it off marketplace from our own gessiegail...thanks Gail : )

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

next..Bristol's Psychedelic Sun..I already have leaves down from this one..lol..

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

next..Roulette Cherry..I finally got one to live and bloom for me..lol..Thanks Susan : )

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

One more..Salmon Sunset...this is such a great color..Love it!

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Nancy, love your blooms! I keep thinking that I am going to get tired of streps, but I never do get tired of them.........just keep sticking more leaves (LOL)

I also never get tired of Salmon Sunset.........just a staple in Streps to keep forever......

That was a bit of luck at the grocery store....and she thanked me real big for taking them off of her hands. I didn't offer any advice on 'what is a good orchid' ........

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks gail..get tired of streps..Never!!..lol..good thing too.. you will have alot of leaves coming to keep you busy during your recuperation from the dentist...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I know.......you and Brenda are saving yours for me...........get so excited I don't know what to do. I have some new ones from LL but they don't have any blooms and are very small (which I told them I would accept small ones just to get them, but they still didn't have 4 of the ones I wanted)..........That is ok. Patience with plants I do have! Patience with people not all the time (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

ooo those look nice tho gail!!!..I promised myself I would stay away from LL for awhile..lol..guess there is no harm in looking...HA....

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to admit that I emailed him and told him I simply could not afford their shipping costs anymore on any plants. The box said it costs 14.50 to ship but he charged me 26.00 for shipping and I am never doing that again.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Gail, you have some of the most beautiful streps I've seen I just love looking at all your pics!
I don't grow them very well maybe I should come down for a lesson or two??

Don't ya just hate getting over charged for shipping? It's seems a sign of the times...I don't mind payig a good price fore plants, I don't even mind paying a lil extra for well packed plants but I DETEST over paying cause a seller is just plain greedy!
Enjoyed your beautiful pics,
MsC

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Ladies,What a great way to start my morning.Beautiful pictures of your blooming beauties.Nice score on the orchids Gail.Yup I do love that no name strep.Poochie is pretty,I'm growing some of Brenda's seeds for that one.

Hi Nancy,Awesome streps .Fish lips is a funny name for such a pretty flower.LOL.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

jannich, what a good strep to be growing seeds from. She is so pretty and unusual. I bet you come up with some winners!

Lilburn, GA

Hi girls,

Thank you for posting such lovely pics!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Gail..thats just plain Wrong!! Charging that much for shipping!..Hi Jannich..thank you..yes I love streps with odd names..especially when the bloom is awesome..lol..ooo I can't wait to see what you get from Brendas seeds..hope you get some neat surprises : )

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I can understand a simple 4 or 5.00 charge for putting them in the box, but why the extra 12.00.............makes no sense and is not right!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning Friends!

Wow, didin't even know you had all moved over here already *lol*
Gail, I think most of the vendors are overcharging for shipping now. Seems to be the thing to do. Even cuttings cost the same as shipping a plant. I have seen comments made on the seed forum that they charge outrages prices just to ship seeds. It's all to make money.

Nancy, I love that Roulette! Did you grow that from a leaf and have blooms already? Psychedlic Sun is also breathtaking!

Can I ask all of you something? Do any of you work full time? I am going to have to return to the workforce full time in about a month and I'm sick with worry that I won't be able to keep all of my plants due to lack of time. I'm also a little worried because it's been so long since I worked full time or been in the "real" workforce. I don't know that I can do it anymore. I know I have to and I'm trying to accept that but I'm a little scared. I know I won't have as much time for my friends here at Dave's and that puts tears in my eyes but I need to stop focusing on my hobby and start helping hubby focus on finances. Jess will be out of summer rec in 4 weeks and this is the last year she's going to summer rec so I really need to start thinking about being a "professional" and making more than the mere $300/week I make right now. Hard pill to swallow but it's life and I knew it was coming at some point.

Kim

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi there Kim,

I don't see a problem with working full time and still have your plants.Lots of people do it..Sometimes I wish I could work cause having so much time on my hands I tend to baby the plants too much and think they need a drink when they don't..LOL

Quoting:
the mere $300/week I make right now

Thats pretty good for working part time sweetie!

I love the R cherry too.It's so different

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Whoo hoo!!! the quote worked for me..LOL.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

I've got to join in the fun, too......

Bristol's Surprise Party

Thumbnail by ericabelle
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Yeah, Jannich $300 has helped out but I used to make over $600 per week when I worked full time and it makes a huge difference when everything seems to be going up in price. Jess needed me to work part time in order to attend summer rec and do swimming etc. but she's getting to the age now where this is the last summer she will go to rec so I really need to help hubby. He was talking of getting a part time job but he already works full time. It's time for me to step up to the plate........OK, maybe crawl to the plate. Alot to think about. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up *lol*

I know I'm going to have to part with some of my plants as there is just no way I will be able to keep up with them all and that is hard on the heart strings but I know they will all go to good homes as they are all going to go to friends here :) I won't ever sell any of my plants as they were all leaves or plants given to me by friends and they need to stay with friends :)

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.