Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 7

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

In the hosta.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics burn and Rose! My Monarda has faded so I'll be cutting it back.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pelle, will your Monarda flower again? I've never cut mine, maybe I should for a second flush?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

I cut 1 stem a long time ago and its taking forever to come back.

The Hummingbirds are still going up to each flower that even has 1 single petal on it.

PERTH, Australia

This is such an enjoyable place to visit. It's so wonderful for me to see the images, so I can only guess the pleasure you all get from seeing them live, with sounds that goes with it. Wonderful pics dellrose, burn and nanny.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Pelle - I wonder if fertilizing your Bee Balm with Bloom Booster would help get it blooming again?

Totally AWESOME photos everyone! Some amazing shots!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Bradh616 - thanks for that link! I never saw that one before. I think there's one of those in my future!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here's a Juvie, and the name of the plant escapes me!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I couldn't figure out why the Hummers were swarming me as I was trying to get a few shots...I was sitting in this chair using the the old ladder as a blind and tripod! LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

They acted like I was invisible!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

One more!

Thumbnail by dellrose

So, Rose ... You can just park it there on the chair behind that ladder and the hummers don't see you or are intimidated by you? All it takes is a ladder to make a hummer blind??? LOL! I gotta try that idea!!!

Great shots from everyone!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL Becky! I bought the chair for $3 at a yard sale intending to sit a potted plant on it and the ladder I bought intentionally to use like a tripod...I had no idea it would double as a blind! It was kind of funny...all those Hummers buzzing me and the chair! I guess they really do like red! The chair is really comfy too!!

Rose - I don't get a lot of hummers at one time like you do. And when I do get one, they are kinda skittish. I always thought it would be cool to have a bird blind somewhere strategically placed in my backyard near the feeders. :-) I wear a red shirt in the yard sometimes, but have yet to be buzzed by one. lol

When I captured one of the hummers on video, I set the camera on a tripod, turned it on, and then left. Hummer came to the feeder within 5 minutes, so I was able to capture it on film. But if I had sat there waiting for it ... I probably wouldn't see it at all. LOL!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

The ones here will get right up in your face as long as you don't have a camera in hand!!

Ain't it the truth! Story of my life ... the photo opportunity that got away! :-)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice Rose!

I think that is a Lantana.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Marna....yes that's right it is a Lantana! Just couldn't think of it!

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

Rose, maybe you could put a red hair scrunchy around the lens.

Marlton, NJ

Very nice shots Rose!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am afraid that my days of summer birds are dwindling fast. It is strangely quiet outside this morning. I haven't seen a thrasher for 3 days. Only a couple of orioles at the buffet table today and 1 catbird.

Not hearing as many towhees or Indigo Buntings either. :(

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Well d**** that CRS!

Stafford County, VA

Poor Papa is starting to molt.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic Dave; he is a bit rough looking. :-)

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

"I am amazed by your shots of multiple hummers at one feeder. I have one feeder with 4 ports and I only get one at a time, but I have 2 couples in the area. They just fight and dive bomb each other constantly. How is it that yours get along? Occasionally I will see both females feeding for a short time - never 2 males. Never even a male and a female. What is the secret?!"

One tip is to have more than one feeder. A male will try to guard several feeders, but the other hummers will fight him off. There is always a lot of fussing and dive bombing during the day, but just before dark, they will all settle down to fill up before bedtime. I have four large Perky Pet feeders up. We used to have eight, but we got tired of devoting all our time to the hummers!

When the first feeder goes up in the spring, there is always a bully male who guards it. I wait til several other hummers show up before hanging my other feeders. Then I replace the bully's feeder with an empty one! The other hummers naturally go to the other feeders, but he will continue to guard the empty one, losing a lot of his influence over the group.

This late in the season, the females are aggressively defending their young at the feeders, so we are seeing more hummers.

You will naturally have more hummers next year because all of this year's juveniles will be coming back to your yard.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mima - those are some great tips! I will get some other feeders and hang them in different areas to try to reduce the fighting a bit, and I'll try the empty feeder trick as well. Very sneaky! I appreciate your sharing your advice on this - it'll be sure to help out my hummer population in future.
Claire

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

Don't separate your feeders! Keep them in a close group (2-3 feet apart). Otherwise, you will have individual bullies guarding each one scattered around your yard. I have one who guards a huge bed of phlox and another who guards the hostas. Entertaining, but annoying!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ahhhh! I see! Another very useful tip. The one I have is on a hook in my front garden. I will get a couple of similar ones and place them on similar hooks 2-3 feet away from the original. I can't tell if there are any juveniles trying to feed. They all look the same to me (except I can tell the diff btwn male and female). I hope they have already had their babies and that they will come back next year. Time will tell...

Thanks!
Claire

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

The best I can tell, the juveniles look a lot like females, and if you pay close attention, the juveniles are a tad smaller......sorta like undernourished adults. We keep our feeders close to our living room windows where we sit and watch tv and/or our birds! They hang on an arbor, so they are out of the afternoon sun. That way, the nectar doesn't get too hot.

Do you all really think the hummers are starting to migrate?? It isn't even August! I attribute our increased numbers to mamas bringing the juveniles to the feeders.....

Marlton, NJ

Yes the banders down south are reporting this.

Marlton, NJ

Rose, Would you like to start Vol. 8 ?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Do you all really think the hummers are starting to migrate??

Adult males move south first, earlier than females and juveniles.

Resin

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Sure thing Pelle and thanks for asking! Here is a link to the new thread Vol 8 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884341/ .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.