Advice please, can you transplant clematis

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

I recently planted clematis to grow up a lattice fence next to my patio. I started out with small plants from 4" pots, and they were planted last year - Venosa Violacea and Rooguchi. This year they have grown nicely up the fence. The problem is that I didn't think they were so much the same color as they are, and although the flowers are very different form, I would like a combination with more contrast. I would like to move the Rooguchi to another location and put something else with the Venosa Violacea. Can I transplant the Rooguchi or should I just rip it out and get over it? DH would like something velvety red so I was thinking of Niobe of course, but if you clematis fiends have other suggestions for combinations with Venosa Violacea I would like to hear from you. I love my Venosa...

Also, on a side note, the Rooguchi seems to be plagued with mildew or something, I got a bad outbreak of brown/splotchy leaves, but I have flowers and green growth at the top of the vine. The Venosa is fine.

(Zone 4a)

A few suggestions would be

comtess de bouchard (pink/mauve)
John Huxtable (white)

Sorry i can't help with the transplanting thing - I have never done it.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Of course you can dig up clematis "Rooguchi" and transplant..I would do it later tho probably around the end of September when the temps will be cooler for you..."Rooguchi" is notorious for getting mildew..But it's important to be proactive and start early in the seaon before the onset of Mildew...You should consider using Neem oil (manufactured by Green Light), which is an extremely effective and organic insecticide, miticide and fungicide.

For the best control, it must be applied often and early in the season before you see signs of mildew. Remember to always provide good air circulation for your "Rooguchi"... and water deeply at the roots. Water early in the am avoiding getting the leaves wet. Jeanne

Delaware, OH

i like red with the purple..you might consider villa de lyon, or a texensis such as duchess of albany. again that one is prone to mildew, so treat before you even see signs of it to be safe.
good luck, sounds like you are going to become a clematis nut!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.