How can I read a public journal?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

When I click Communities/Journals I get a list of members who have elected to share their journals, but there seems to be no way to look at a journal. The member name is "live" (if I double click on it, the color changes from blue to green), but nothing happens. How do I look at public journals.

TIA
LAS

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I just checked, and it seems the links there are broken for some reason (they used to work and would take you to the person's journal). The other way to get there is to click on a person's username to go to their member page (you can either find a post they've made and click on their name next to the post, or you can click on "member list" and search for a person's username). Once you're on their member page, if they have a public journal you'll see a link to view it (I checked and going to it that way will work).

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I can read ecrane3's now.

Ecrane3, do you know if any changes that are in the works regarding the Garden Journal? I am a big time user of it, but I have not noticed any changes. Many great requests have been made, but there doesn't seem to be any tweaking going on. I would love volunteer as a beta site if any are being contemplated. You are the go to person for any questions, but I don't know if you are involved in updates. Or are just very, very helpful. Thanks, Patti

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, I'm not involved in updates here. I do know that Dave is incredibly busy right now with the Marketplace so I wouldn't count on any major updates on the journal at least until he's done with that, after that I'm not sure what else is on his "to do" list.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ecrane3, I am patient and am mostly very pleased with most of the features of the DG Journal I wish we could have a users meeting like I use to have when I was using software to run my bookstores. We had annual gatherings to share ideas and wish lists with the company at the national book shows and at the regional shows. Of course we had real money involved with the monthly service charges and all the hardware that we bought through them, so the provider had real reason to constantly upgrade the system. All the inventory was ordered, tracked and sold through the point of sale so for me having a the journal that keeps all my plants listed is a natural. Now if I could just find a way to have the journal eliminate all the unwanted weeds, I would be ecstatic. Again thanks for being an unofficial techie. I have learned many things from your posts. Patti

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Interesting. When I use the method I described in my initial post, I still don't see anything when I click bbrookrd. But I can see the journals when I click on ecrane3.

Bbrookrd, have you been bad??? :-)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

No, mine is not public. Use to be public, but I changed it to be only seen by me. Sorry. I like to post a picture with each plant that I plant. But until it blooms and I can take my own, I put a picture from the catalog who I order it from in my journal which is not allowed if your journal is public so it is easy to id. Very helpful with iris, dl and lilies. Patti

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

BBrookRd - Well, that certainly solves one puzzle. But it doesn't explain why your name continues to show up in a list labeled as follows:

Below is the list of all Dave's Garden members who are keeping online journals here and have elected to allow other members to view them.

The bug is probably that changes in journal status aren't updated in this list.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I think you are right about the statement. Many people on that list have their journals closed to the public. Patti

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspect that page for some reason is no longer "synced" with the real journals, the people who are on that list probably had their journals available publicly the last time that page updated itself, but I don't know how long it's been broken so a lot of them may have made their journals private since then. Another reason some people may switch them to private is if they keep getting too many requests for seeds, cuttings, etc of things that they have, I've gotten a few of those requests although not enough to make me change my journal to private.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

It is amazing how many people apparently ask for all kinds of free stuff from people they don't know. I have had a few dmail me. Some sweet, some odd. I see threads of people desperate for anything free and then proudly showing off all the expensive things they have added shortly there after on the same Forum. Always happy to help in a disaster. But that is a low blow to those who took the time to dig and ship off plants thinking the person was in a bad way only to have them flaunting their purchases or work done by expensive hired help a couple of months later. I am equally amazed that when I have told friends to come by for free plants when I am dividing things, that they never seem to be able to get it together, but will remind me again when the next time they see those plants in full bloom that I promised them some. Like I am going to rip them out of the ground on the spot in mid summer for them? Especially when I had already dug and saved many for them the previous spring or fall that they never picked up. Patti

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm with you. I don't mind if someone who's a subscriber who just happens to really like a particular plant dmails me, then I know it's because they just really like that plant and I would help them out if I could, but I don't like the ones who are obviously just out to collect as much free stuff as they can. But people are out of luck anyway if they want any of my stuff, I don't typically collect a lot of seeds, and I've been in a quarantine zone for the light brown apple moth for over a year now so I can't send plants or cuttings anywhere. And even if I was able to send plants, I'm busy enough with work, etc that I never really have time to get to the post office, so it's kind of a big hassle for me anytime I have to mail anything that I can't just stick a stamp on and put in the mailbox. There are good reasons why I don't have a trade list! LOL

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

patti and ecrane3, well I stumbled on this forum looking for a way to let my MG friends see my DG blog /journals. We have discussed having an internal sharing bulletin board or something but it seems too much to ask of our web helper/members. So if you know how a non-subscriber can easily find a specifc DG member's (subscriber) blog, I'd love to know!

But after reading your exchange, I'm a little freaked out about keeping my blog etc public. I just recently created it and put some of my info I keep in M/soft word documents into it. I didn't think about the things you brought up that people do....

thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

To read someone's blog, go to the member list (if you look in the navigation bar on this page you'll see a link to it), then search for that person's username and then go to the link to view their diary/blog. Or if you run across a post from a person, you can click on their username next to their post and that'll take you to their member page too where you'll see the diary/blog link. They may need to sign up as members in order to view much of your blog, although they don't have to be paid subscribers.

And I wouldn't worry too much about making journals and blogs public--there aren't that many people out there trolling for free plants and they're usually pretty easy to ignore when they do come along. It's more of a minor annoyance than anything else. I would stay away from posting info like your address and other personal details in the blog but beyond that I don't feel that it's really a big deal to have it public.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I LOVE the blog feature (now that ecrane3 has helped me figure out a couple of things...and a BIG thanks goes out Dublin-ward!~).

Right now I'm undergoing a major renovation (or really a "novation" since almost nothing had been done before) and the blog's a great place for me to track my projects and post photos where my friends can see what's going on in my garden.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Always glad to help! I love the blog too although I've been terrible at keeping mine up to date--I'm about a year behind now! I had a whole new patio area put in this year, plus some new plantings and of course the things that were put before that have grown up a lot. I will have to get around to updating it one of these days!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images