Could someone help ID this weed?

Harlingen, TX

I know this is a tropical forum but, I would really like to know what weed this is. I put down Scotts late last year and I believe it got rid of all the dollarweed, but this one persists.

any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

This message was edited Jul 20, 2008 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by riograndeguy

I'd love to know what the stuff is you put down that got rid of the dollarweed!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

????? No idea. A form of peanut?

Harlingen, TX

Dutch lady it was Scotts southern weed and feed formula. It has a picture of a dollarweed plant on the front. But this weed.. it gets thick and I think it is choking out the St. Augustine. Whatever it is, it has strong roots. I believe sometimes it has a little yellow flower on it.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Try looking up ornamental peanut.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

actually that almost looks like dune daisy, youngish.

Harlingen, TX

Here is a picture of one with the little yellow flower.. it's not an ornamental peanut, I looked that up, doesn't look the same.. and it's not a dune daisy either.. I can't find it anywhere on the net..

Thumbnail by riograndeguy
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Wegelia? (sp?)...ground creeper, sunflower family?????

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yri the plant and tree identification forum. Those guys LIVE for the challenge!

Keaau, HI

It is definitely a Composite (Asteraceae). It reminds me of Synedrella nodiflora.

Can you show more detailed photos of the entire plant?

I think I found your plant in an online wildflower of texas link but I cannot find it by the nae they call it there... take a look at this pic http://www.io.com/~maddog/pho_sorl.jpg is this the plant?

Keaau, HI

I think the plant is Calyptocarpus vialis, syn. Synedrella vialis. A native Composite in your area.

I agree it sure looks like it
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/images/pics/ast/calyptocarpus_vialis.htm

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We have that stuff also. It gets in the pots with my pineapple plants. It's heck to get out!

Harlingen, TX

Yes ya'll are right.. the guys over at plant ID, .. found it .. it's called Horseherb or stragling daisy.... From what I've read on the net, it is the cockroach of plants and could survive a nuclear attack....

Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.. I need to lose a tree in the back yard, it apparently likes shade and I have that in abundance in the back yard.'

Maybe it's not hurricane proof and Dolly will take it out on Wednesday.. hehe

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 7:35 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Isn't it nice when everyone agrees? Or in your case, NOT!!!

Good luck!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

"it is the cockroach of plants and could survive a nuclear attack... " LOL!

I agree!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.