My Jacob's Ladder dried up and died,no apparent cause.

Elgin, IL

My only Jacob's Ladder dried up and died practically over night. It happened so fast it didn't even fall over, and only wilted a little. It looked like a dried flower arrangement! Also, it turned a dark purplish brown between one morning and the next. I had many at my old place,and have never had this problem. There were no bugs and no insect damage that I could see, no fungi, and no warning. I mean, it really only took about 3 days even though I watered it when it started to look a little peaked. I didn't see any problems with the roots when I removed it. All of the plants around it are fine. Could a fungus or bacteria have clogged up the sap lines somehow? It's just the weirdest thing- in 40 years of gardening I've never seen anything quite like it. Anyone know what it might be, and do I have to worry about my other guys?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

It looks like it is not an easy plant to grow.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/392/

Elgin, IL

Actually, it's a very easy plant to grow. It's a native wildflower so it's pretty tough, and even the hybrids are hardy. Still puzzled, but to be safe I took out and replaced all the dirt from that spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.