Stictocardia not blooming

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It's huge now, and growing more everyday, bloomed once right after I got it and it was about l 2 inches tall and full of blooms, none since then, it's 20 to 30 feet now. What's wrong with the crazy thing?

I have fertilized, but not over fertilized. Also, don't the flowers turn into seed pods after blooming? i've not had one of those seed pods yet. ARGH!!

I want some blooms and seeds. LOL

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

the one I have blooms late fall/winter

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL ha! guess that's why LOL mine starts with the B I know ther's one that starts with an M that is brighter/bolder in color than the B one. guess that explains why mine's not blooming LOL It's hard to learn about all the plants one has growing .

I've tried to root a couple of the cuttings in water to have them rot on me, guess it's hard to root these too.

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Kathy, please give us a photo. I would recommend layering it . You don't stand automatic rotting, since the roots are still there to nourish the vine.
I am growing some from seed, it would be nice to see what older vines look like. Frank

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I've already rooted some in water, so I got it down pat now LOL

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Stictocardia beraviensis.. is that the one you have Donna .. almost an opalescent flower... in pink and orange... I didn't see that one blooming there last fall did I.. and I got seeds all the way from this guy Jacques on Reunion Island..right off madagascar..
and mine is only 10' and it isn't even fall...don't guess I have much chance for flowers right now then.. I'll be patient... Gordon
oh here it is standing upright

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've had spiratic blooming on mine off and on, someone mentioned it bloomed in fall, but the info I found on it, says it blooms just like mine has and even blooms in december. It's a massive grower, seems like it puts its efforts in growth and less on blooms, but when they do arrive their spectacular.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well... I'll have to keep looking all the time then Kathy.. So...you're in Zone 7 also
what happens to yours in the winter...well it's 7 B there...I guess I'm in 7 A..
but what do you do with yours then..
how long have you had it growing there ..
Thanks..Gordon..
oh.. Donna/Kathy Ann..........did your flowers look like this..which is what my seeds suposedly make

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yes my flowers looked like that too.

This is my first year growing the stictocardia it's huge and I hope to over winter it in the greenhouse. It sure looks tough enough to be able to make it out there in 40 degree temps.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Stictocardia beraviensis and Stictocardia macalusoi cannot be differentiated by the color of the flower,despite widespread usage of the epithets by many merchants...

There is detailed botanical quality descriptions of Stictocardia beraviensis available on the web,but I have been unable to locate any serious botanical quality descriptions for Stictocardia macalusoi...furthermore my compilation of notes on the Stictocardia genus indicates that there is significant overlap of features between S.beraviensis and S.macalusoi and it the main reason that I have refrained from entering any photos at all of either of the 2 species in question into the PlantFiles...

Please request any suppliers to supply copies of serious detailed botanical quality descriptions that enable the differentiation between S.beraviensis and S.macalusoi before deciding on and promulgating a definitive botanical differentiation between these very,very closely related species that have significant overlapping features including the color of the flowers...

To recapitulate:

Flower color alone cannot be used to differentiate between the 2 separate species of Stictocardia and I would be very much impressed if any supplier could supply a legitimate detailed botanical description that could legitimately differentiate S.beraviensis from S.macalusoi...

Stictocardia beraviensis and Stictocardia macalusoi have overlapping natural distribution ranges and can be found growing in the wild in overlapping geographic areas....the original natural distributional ranges have increased overlap due to various types of human facilitation...

Stictocardia beraviensis and Stictocardia macalusoi can share the same range of flower color,despite certain photos on the web.

There is no way to distinguish between S.beraviensis and S.macalusoi based upon flower color alone...and since the other structural features of the 2 species are extremely similar,I currently do not have the requisite detailed information required to differentiate between these 2 extremely closely related and appearing Stictocardia species...

I believe Jacques to be sincere,but unless he can supply serious botanical details as to why his seeds / plants are most definitively Stictocardia beraviensis and not Stictocardia macalusoi I will remain seriously skeptical of the scientific objective accuracy of the epithet as applied...

TTY,...

Ron

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Thanks Ron... I'm not sure of the difference at all... or how one tells... but it caused some research.. some interesting applications for berivaensis... across quite a broad range of uses ...I quote
A strong woody climber of open wooded grassland and riverain forest, from Mali to S Nigeria, and extending across the Congo basin to E Africa and Madagascar.The flowers are bright crimson and decorative.In S Nigeria leaf-sap is dropped into wounds (2). A related species, S. tiliafolia (Desr.) Hall., has been reported containing at least six hallucinogenic indole alkaloids (1). S. beraviensis should be screened.Without distinguishing between species in Ivory Coast the genus is recorded with the following medicinal and superstitious usages: the inflorescence is a good remedy for tachycardia, cough and stomach complaints; leaf-sap is used in eye-instillations for eye-troubles and headache, and in frictions for oedemas and fever; the stem-sap is used against urethral discharges, to prevent miscarriage and to treat jaundice; root-pulp will maturate buboes and abscesses; the plant is put into many prescriptions for constipation, nausea, haemorrhage in pregnancy, ‘yellow’ fever, etc., and in medico-magical formulations to protect people and villages from evil spirits and illness...
well seems to be quite useful..or at least widely used.. Gordon

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well... I have a little more information as to how cold it can take.. I haven't been down to but about 34 here..but just for part of a night .. most nights have been warmer at 36-38-40*F..
my Stictocardia is about decimated... it's been inside for about a week now... and shows little sign of recovery.. .. I' d say it's likely quite tender any where below 40*F... so for thoes looking to keep it out .. it's wiser to error on the warm side of 40*F... perhaps even 50*F.. if you'd like an unstressed item inside... I don't guess I've compleatly kiled it now.. although agood part of it is very close .. Perhaps I can post a recovery picture... soon.. that would be more fun that letting ya'll have a glimpse of the near dead.. all be it Halloween... and need I say the election season...

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Was yours losing leaves before you brought it in? I had mine out and it got down to 34 once so far but it didn't stay 34 for very long. I have found that the ones I had rooting in the deep shade of the patio didn't like it and the leaves started to fall off whereas the ones I had rooting in a little bit more sun didn't defoliate.

I feel guilty for saying this now since Gordon's is declining...but I am so happy, I just found a bunch of pink buds on mine! I guess they are fall bloomers or else it just finally got big enough to bloom. It is a monster and is entertwined around and around a black metal garden arch. Will post a flower pic when they open. I think I am allergic to the leaves though, they make me itch.

Gordon if you lose yours and want another rooted start in the spring just let me know.
No problem!
~Lenette

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

oh.. Linette... thanks... Mine was so big lushanddoing sowell... Ican't believe it's not just mad.. and will return... but thanks for the offer ... it is a fall boomer for Donna she said.. I wasjust trying to getthe last few days of it outside.. many of my plumeria.. although brought in earlier...saw something of the 38*F nights.. and have suffered the big onesdidn't mind ittoomuch... the reds took it real hard.. Iknew they had to be inside early.. and had started sooner... some ofth e brugs I took in.. then put them back out... as they mostly are loving it..now that it's back to the 40's at night .. I wish I had better info on the stictocardia though.. it weathered the first cool like a champ.. then between the wind and cold rain.. it got mad.. and is sulking I think.. can't wait to see your blooms though..opelescent pink is my favorite color of all.. Gordon

Well if you decide you need one in the spring just lmk. They are super easy to root.

Here's a photo of mine in bloom...

Thumbnail by

That's beautiful gordo! My buds are getting bigger :) (dun nun nun nun- a little 'Jaws' theme music going here) LOL I just hope it doesn't get to cold for them. Its still in a pot out in the yard but looks okay so far.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.