Persian Ironwood

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I went shopping today and purchased a lovely Persian Ironwood, Parrotia persica. No photos--yet but soon.

Meanwhile, I recommend reviewing the previous posts and discussions regarding this plant and in particular whether to prune the foilage from the trunks of the shrub to expose the bark. DG at its very best in my opinion.

photos forthcoming.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I prune the foliage and twiggy branches from the trunk to show off the bark and beautiful branching structure. Mine also suckers a little (low branches will layer also). Nice if you want to propagate.
It's a beautiful tree.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's some of those peripatetic Parrotia persica posts:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/667139/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/666176/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/577843/

Ah, memory lane...

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is a photo of the transplanted and trimmed up Parrotia persica. Please feel free to make recommendations or share cautions about transplanting in July. More water? Less water?

Thumbnail by bacarney

Show us the whole plant, and describe the conditions of the plant as you purchased it (container? B&B? Bare root?).

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I purchased the Parrotia Persica balled and wrapped in burlap with a tied wire holding the entire bundle together. When I opened the bundleand removed the wire and burlap the root ball was solid like concrete. I had watered it the day before planting but it was really dry and hard. I tried to loosen the root ball a bit but it was solid yellow colored clay--very hard. I planted the tree in what my mother would have described it as a $25 hole for a $10 plant--although I guarantee you it was not a $10 plant. So, while I tried to break up the root ball a bit, I really wasn't successful in freeing up any roots. I have basically planted the entire root ball in a good sized hole with good quality garden soil and some slow release fertilizer. And I watered it thoroughly.

Thumbnail by bacarney

Since the plant had been previously dug B&B in spring dormancy, planting in July is only a poor choice if you don't intend to care for the plant further. Tucked in amongst hosta, I expect you'll be doing regular watering to keep those plants looking trim. Unless that is the sunniest and hottest southwest corner of the house, the Parrotia and you should be fine.

You are a tad tight to the house with what will eventually be a 30' x 30' tree...

That is a nice looking little plant. Breaking up the ball on a B&B isn't necessary, and can be a bad idea. If one was to remove all the soil from this plant versus one grown in a container with soilless media, you'd see a tremendous difference. Loosening roots on a plant from a container (where they may be circling the perimeter) is useful and less injurious because it helps redirect the growing root tips AND the container plant has all its roots (none severed).

The B&B plant will just have severed ends at the surface of the rootball, and far less total roots than when it was dug. The only variation on that will be new roots of the season, growing from the severed ends into whatever the B&B plant was heeled in at the nursery/garden center. You sure don't want to break those off.

As mentioned elsewhere, make sure the rootball (where all the roots are presently) stays moist. Many people water "in the vicinity" or next to the plant, which isn't bad - just not sufficient. If the ball dries down, the plant will be severely stressed or die. I suggest drip hose type apparatus that applies moisture right where you lay it, versus a sprinkler head which is better for broadcasting water over areas where plants are well-established.

Amounts? Gauge your weather. Or has the rain (and trains) run mainly through Des Plaines?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I learned VV's lesson the hard way.
My parrotia is planted about 2 1/2 feet from my foundation.
It's now at least 20ft tall and I'm having to prune annually to make it a one-sided tree against the house.
In retrospect I would have given it a lot more room.
But for god sake, who knew it would grow?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mine is stretching its arms and legs and becoming a beautiful 4 year old tree. It loves the sun I have 2 others placed in a shady area and not doing as well. I don't plan on cutting so much as a leaf off mine. Please go down the memory lane VV posted and enjoy the greatest comedy DG ever had on the Parrotia Persica discussion. Hello VV.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you for your replies to this post. We've certainly been running the rains through the des plaines lately--but my little Parrotia Persica seems very happy. I see the distinction you drew regarding the root ball and roots in a non soil growing media. The location of the plant will be something I'll have to consider as it grows. i'll post a photo in the fall when the show starts.

thanks again

Hi back, Sof. How goes the MT torture chamber for all things woody?

Give my best to the clan - especially Dixie. How's she humming?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All is well this year for all things woody. Lots of spring and early summer rain and mild temps. Trees are super. I haven't been home for a while during the hot but it hasn't been bad according to my DW. I have lost my dad and am here in Mich for the details of getting life back on track. Take care VV. Steve

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

weerobin, I snorted when I saw your last line. I know, how many times have we all done that, not thinking it would really grow and be half as large as the label or books say?

We planted a parrotia Fall of 2006 and it's doing well. How long did it take for yours to reach this exalted, too big, size?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Cedar, mine has been in the ground 8-10 years, I would guess.
It really is a pretty tree.
I just wish it had a little more room to strut it's stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.