what am i

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

this beauty was in the Tulsa Rose Garden in a pot with no name
i love it any one know whats is is name ?

Thumbnail by tazzy

another photo

Thumbnail by tazzy
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Dalechampia dioscoreifolia
Here is the link

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55263/

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It's also known as the 'bow tie vine'.

and sob
it not hardy here that why they had it in pot they have big green house to over winter .

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Nice vine Tazzy, here in NY I bring all tropical inside, i have a jungle out here!Your vine is beautiful, Clemen

Edinburg, TX

Tazzy,

Dalechampia is said to cause a skin rash/irritation on some people but it is also a larval host plant for Cracker butterflies. It is also supposed to be used by Mexican Bluewings (Myscelia ethusa) and Common Mestras (Mestra amymone) but I've only seen the Mexican Bluewings using Vasey Adelia and the Common Mestras using Tragia (noseburn). Might find out differently if I had Dalechampia growing in my yard :o)

The Mexican Bluewings and Common Mestras are somewhat common butterflies here. We get a few rare Gray Crackers (Hamadryas februa) and Guatemalen Crackers (Hamadryas guatemalena) too. Have yet to see a Red Cracker (Hamadryas amphinome) or a Variable Cracker (Hamadryas feronia) on this side of the border...but there's always hope!!!

If you ever decide you want to trade that plant away do let me know. I can always use a butterfly larval host plant in my yard!!!

~ Cat

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 10:50 PM

its at our local Tulsa Rose Garden
the ydid not have it labled and i took picture to Id
its in big pot on the grounds. I cant havehouse plants have cats but if it was hardy i wanted it for back yard garden .
i wonder if it grows by cutting / if so thy will trim before taking it in thi fall maybe i can get you a cutting . Have to talk to big shot garder at park. and hes hard to find .

Edinburg, TX

Tazzy...

Not sure how if it grows by cuttings. Would need to research.

~ Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.