Help! Need identity

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I would sure appreciate it if someone could tell me what type of tree this is.
The flowers are so fragrant that you can smell them two houses away. They almost look like fussias flower wise but smell like honey suckle. This is definately a tree not a bush or vine. Help please

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

one more photo

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The leaves look just like my Hawaiian tree that I grow in the house. It is the one they use for leis but I can't think of the name.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A Rhododendron.

Resin

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

PS it is a shrub, not a tree. Trees are the green ones in the background ;-)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I have never heard of an extremly fragrant rhodie before. Yea, I guess it is a shrub but a Rhodie. What kind of rhododern is it?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are lots of fragrant rhodies...I don't know which specific one yours is but there are some that have truly fabulous fragrance. Here's a nursery that sells a lot of rhodies including fragrant ones, take a look at their fragrant page and see if you find a match. http://www.singtree.com/Rhododendron.cfm?type=fragrant

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The trunk doesn't look like a Rhodie. Can you take a close up of the leaf thats not shaded from the light?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's absolutely a rhodie--trunks may look different depending on the age and particular species, but the flowers give it away as a Rhododendron.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I will get a close up of the leaves but after looking at the web site singtree.com I think that it is probably a Rhodie.
Thanks for all the great input. I will get more photos tomorrow.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's definitely a rhodie, your leaves and flowers are both a match, there's really nothing else it could be.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks ecrane3 I appreciate your help.

(Zone 6b)

I'll third it's definitely a Rhododendron. It looks like one of the North American natives which people commonly call Azaleas(all Azaleas are Rhododendrons, but not all Rhododendrons are Azaleas) to me. I say that, because of the elongated shape of the flowers, with very long looking stamens which are characteristic of most North American native Azaleas. In particular your plant looks a lot like the Western Azalea(Rhododendron occidentale) which is well noted for it's very fragrant flowers which can be smelled from a long way off. It's so fragrant, that many people often incorrectly call it "Honeysuckle Shrub".

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, thats exactly what it smells like. Honeysuckle. So it is an Western azalea? Or Rhododendron occidentale. Either or?
Thanks
Jan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're the same thing--western azalea is a common name for R. occidentale

(Zone 6b)

Yes, that's what I think it is, a Western Azalea(the scientific name is Rhododendron occidentale) and if happy they can grow to be nearly 15 feet tall, which would fit with the larger sized plant in the photo also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.