hydrangeas

Starkville, MS

I want everyone to see my Harmony hydrangea. It is an oakleaf hydrangea------hard to find but worth the search.

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I love those double blooms, shirleyd. Much nicer than my Alice. Is that a problem after it rains though? Meaning the weight of the blooms? Makes me think it will do as Annabelle does. The good thing is this variety will do fine in the south including areas with not too much rain as Texas (you still have to water it of course) but it should work as long as the soil drains well and as long as the soil drains well. But if the soil drains well, it will thrive. Was I obvious enough? :o)

PS - If you do not mind answering the question, how much was it going for where you bought it?

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 3:45 PM

Port Sanilac, MI

What a beautiful flowerThanks for sharing!

Saint Louis, MO

Wow! Gorgeous heads!

Starkville, MS

Obviously, I bought it several years ago, and I think that it was like $45 before shipping. Of all the hydrangeas that I have rooted, I have had no success with rooting the oak leaf. If anyone has any suggestions on doing so, please let me know.

Shirleyd

Starkville, MS

I forgot to add that it is not too much of a problem when it rains-------the same as any of the hydrangeas-----------and recovers when it dries. Of course, being 7 inches behind in our rain means that I don't see it droop too often. (Last year at this time we were 17 inches behind---so I shouldn't complain.)

Shirleyd

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful blooms, very, very huge indeed! The rest of your garden is very pretty too, very lush and full!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Shirleyd - I saw in the other thread about rooting cuttings that you have about 120 hydrangeas, that's amazing! I have to ask though, if you are down 7" in rain, how the heck do you water everything????

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I think you wil be fine, shirleyd. You only have to worry when you get a lot of rain. I lost an oakleaf when the weather was rainy for a long period of time. If it had been for only a month, I think the plant would have been ok.

But, I believe it was 2 years ago, when we got an awful lot of rain from March thru June (a long time for Texas). During that time period, we would easily get about 1" per week (even 1-3" per storm many times). It rained frequently, more than twice a week. While it feels now as if it rained daily, it was probably raining once every 2-3 days with lots of cloudy weather.

One of my oakleaf hydrangeas, protected by a maple tree, did not make it. There never was standing water but the continuous rain got to be too much in this semi clayish environment.

Starkville, MS

I manage to keep everything watered with an automatic watering system-------------and putting hoses on especially dry plants. For some reason one of the plants that I have (usually a hydrangea) will become terribly wilted-------and being fearful that it will go into shock and die in this 95 degree heat, I put a hose under it with a slow dribble. Right now I have a hose running on a beautiful blooming paniculata grandiflora (will try to make a picture and show it soon).

As for the water on the oak leaf ------ I have warned many owners of newly-planted oakleafs to be careful--------it is the one hydrangea that you can kill with too much water.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b----but becoming Zone 8

Starkville, MS

I am enclosing a picture of my paniculata hydrangea. It is so easy grow--has few pests-----and requires no care. It begins to bloom in July and some types continue into the fall. And, it is quite easy to root. Shirleyd
zone 7b

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Shirleyd - Very nice paniculata. Here, the buds on my Tardiva are getting bigger by the day and should have blooms hopefully in another couple weeks. I'm new to paniculatas and getting to know mine better... it doesn't seem to like much water. It's semi shaded and if it gets too much water, the leaves will yellow and fall off around the bottom. You are so right about easy to grow, and fast grower! Mine did have the four lined bugs this spring, it seemed to be its favorite along with my Butterfly Bushes but is no worse for wear. Can't wait till she blooms. I'm still eyeing Limelight and Quick Fire.

Montreal, Canada

Oh, what a lovely plant. I am most interested to see what it looks like in September. I would appreciate if you could post another photo then.

Starkville, MS

In response to Flower_Mtl I will try to send a picture of my Paniculata Grandiflora during the month of Sept. I think that it still has a lovely color to it---sort of a pale green. The line that you see in front of it is my electric fence---which has been wonderful for my deer population. Just don't understand why more people do not grow this variety. It begins blooming when many plants begin to fade (July for me)----has very few enemies and requires no care.

Shirleyd
Zone 7B

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Montreal, Canada

Thank you for responding, Shirley.

The plant is just georgous. I tried sourcing the product in Canada, without any luck. It is a hard to find plant here. However, I have seen it in my area..I hope it is the same plant.. :)

Starkville, MS

The paniculata is quite easy to root if you could find one. I usually root several a year to give to friends.

Shirleyd

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

H. paniculata Tardiva is another late elegant bloomer.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, it certainly is a fall beauty.

Thumbnail by pirl

Shirley - a bit off topic but you have to see this daylily: http://www.mariettagardens.com/2009/I_Love_Shirley.htm

Starkville, MS

pirl---thanks for sending info on the daylily----with that interesting name. I will be looking for one as i also grow a lot of daylilies. In fact I have given up most of my roses and just raising plants that want to be here and will take care of themselves. My most dependable are the hydrangeas, cannas, salvias and daylilies.

Shirleyd

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Shirley, I just saw the picture of your Harmony. Wow! I have to get one. How's its fall color?

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, your Harmony is beautiful and I think it's worth the amount of money. Incredible blooms!

Shirley - I noticed the deer tape in front of the hydrangeas and I'm almost afraid to ask this question: do the deer really bother the hydrangeas? I just planted five more, having deleted hundreds of daylilies they loved to munch, so I'd be heartbroken if they end up deer food.

I have a lily that I have never seen the blooms because the deer always eat the top of it off. I found the egg spray works really well. You do have to respray every 30 days, which is not bad because the expensive commercial kind you have to respray when it rains.

Please tell me the name of the spray. They got some of my lilies but the majority of my daylilies. Thanks.

Here is a link:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06520.html

A spray of 20 percent whole eggs and 80 percent water is one of the most effective repellents. To prevent the sprayer from clogging, remove the chalaza or white membrane attached to the yolk before mixing the eggs. The egg mixture is weather resistant but must be reapplied in about 30 days. See Table 2 for a list of commercially available repellents and their ratings against deer and elk browsing in Colorado.

And I hear this is a great product, (edited) and you don't have to respray when it rains:
http://plantskydd.com/index.html

I have never used it myself because I found that the egg mix worked well for me this summer.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2008 8:44 AM

Thank you SO much.

Starkville, MS

Pirl----I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, the deer will wipe out your hydrangeas if they are hungry enough and have the opportunity. If they are starving they will eat anything----no matter what the odor, etc. Remember----when humans are starving they will eat rats, cats, and anything available------same is true for all animals.

And, they winter color of the leaves of the Harmony are as beautiful as all the Oak leaf hydrangeas.

Shirleyd

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Shirley, I have been drooling over your Harmony from the first time I saw the picture, they are expensive when you buy them but come spring I will have to get one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.