Wonderfully fragrant tree !!

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Hubby and I were in town eating dinner and while we were walking into the cafe I caught the hint of lilac or maybe rose.. Ummm just wonderful, so I looked around and didnt see any plants.. Then again after dinner walking out I had forgotten all about it till I caught that same smell. I had to find out what it was, I walked around some vehicle's parked there thinking that there had to be something on the other side ... But nothing... the fragrance was even stronger now.. Ummm just lovely... It is this tree, there are about 10 of them in the whole lot and just so lovely smelling.. I am hopeing that someone here can tell me what it is !! Please

Thumbnail by Polyacre
Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

and here is another picture of the leaves and the flower part that smells so pretty.

Thumbnail by Polyacre
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A species of Tilia

Resin

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Resin, I looked at the tree's in the DG database and none of them (with photos) seemed to match, I will try to google and see if I can find it.
Thank you

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

try checking under Linden trees. Also called Lime trees. You're right--they are so fragrant. I read somewhere (pardon the absence of documentation) that they were planted throughout Europe after the war (that would be WW2) signifying remembrance. They are extraordinary. We have blocks of them here in Chicago and they add a great deal to life.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Try Little Leaf Linden tree, 'Tilia cordata '.

Jim

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

That is it a Little Leaf Linden..... Wonderful !! Now that I know what it is the search is on to purchase here local..

What a great place DG is!!!!

Thank you all for your help.

Poly

Danville, IN

Here in the Indianapolis area, little leaf lindens are a favorite of Japanese beetles. They completely skeletonize the tree by the end of August. They used to be used so much, and it's a shame. Probably can be helped by a systemic.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Thank you Hoosier, I will make sure that I treat for that. The Japanese beetles seem to be worse some years more then others.
Still no luck on finding it local, may have to try a mail order! Anyone have suggestions on a good mail order company?

Poly

(Zone 6b)

forestfarm has a good selection of Linden Trees(Tilia sps.). There are lots of different species of Linden and many are hardy well into zone 4. You may not want to limit yourself to just the Little Leaf Linden. All Lindens that I've been around are fragrant while flowering so you won't lose that if you went with a different Linden. The native Basswood (Tilia americana) is even native to Eastern South Dakota. It differs from Little Leaf Linden in that it has much larger leaves, tends to grow into a larger tree and it's flowers are often more whitish in color and it's more cold hardy(but both should be cold hardy in your area).

Here's a link to forestfarms selection of Linden:

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/search.asp?aPage=1&index=genus&field-keywords=Tilia&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Kman_blue
I went to the forestfarm site, I had no idea there were so many... Now I just have one other problem........ which one to choose !!! LOL

Thanks for the great link
Poly

Eau Claire, WI

Poly -- You might want to look for T. mongolica 'Harvest Gold', which I think was developed by the U of North Dakota (or was it NDSU). Yeah, I know that hurts, but what the heck.

http://www.northscaping.com/InfoZone/FS-0009/FS-0009.shtml

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Maackia,
What a georgous tree, I most definatly need to get that one too. Love the thought of fast growing and turning such a pretty yellow in the fall !!

Oh... it's NDSU !! LOL

Thanks to link !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.