Part Deux: Breathe deep & tell us what smells wonderful...

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

...in your garden. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/853470/

Pod, surely this was getting too cumbersome to load for our dialup buddies.

I've got another, but no pic. It is crape Myrtle Peppermint Lace. It is very nice.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 9:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up about 'Sweet Chariot'. I bookmarked it in a file I name "Plants to buy". Now I have to figure out where I'm gonna put it.

get the crape myrtle too, lol

I can push my zone to a 6 but have yet to find a crape that will reliably handle zone 6. Do you think it could handle it?

velnita, I as mostly kidding since you had a shopping spree list, lol. i did google it and says hardy to 7, so not good for you.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh....me tooo!!! Here's a Dat...I'm cheating cuz i have no idea if it smells good or not...LOL I better get some pics of the Oriental Lilies today...too hot to go out now though

Thumbnail by Chantell

Thanks so much for the new thread!
~Susan

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Amen on the last thread! On didn't start one as I was lacking anything fragrant. Been crawling around on hands and knees sniffing for a bloom! LOL My Buddelia has an interesting flavor but hard to take a good photo.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Casablanca Lily just finished blooming. You wouldn't want it inside.
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

the white buddleia has an exotic fragrance, to me. Another nice fragrance is white duranta. I have one which I'm training as a standard.

I'm also training a blue duranta as a tree, but for some reason that one has died to the ground 2 yrs in a row, to my project is taking twice as long as expected.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Does anybody know if asiatic lillies will grow in California? I absolutely love the fragrance...

Kannapolis, NC

This may have been mentioned on the earlier thread, but didn't have time (on my lunch hour) to read all of it. Moonflower vine (ipomea) and ginger lily (hedychium) both smell heavenly and are plants I won't be without.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Did somebody say Night Blooming Jasmine?

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

She is in phototropic response mode. I made a vase of her, and she opened up her beautiful fragrance in the house after the sun went down............

Thumbnail by fauna4flora
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

*fingers crossed* Hoping I'll get some blooms THIS year

f4f, I assume it's fragrant as a cut flower?

Very much so!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Mine has been suffering since I got her...I really don't know what it is! Too much water/too little water/ too much sun/too litle sun..argh! I MUST MOVE TO FLORIDA! HAHAHA
Fauna tell us the secret to make yours happy! There is NO OTHER fragrance that reminds me more of my childhood in Brazil..I so want to smell it again!

Sorry- no secrets this time. I don't even spray it for bugs- they eat some leaves, but it grows more than they can eat. The most I have to do to it is trim it so we have room to mow around that spot!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

arghhhhh, lol! OK, I'm packing!

Well, how about this- I wouldn't be able to sit outside and enjoy the scent for all the mosquitos, so there is a trade off!

if this helps you a llittle bit, I find mine is a rather thirsty plant. I suspect that underwatering affects blooming. Last year when we had a particularly wet summer, mine was simply spectacular, so I took a hint and try a little harder not to let it wilt to the ground with thirst.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Lol Fauna! Vossner, really? Oh no, I'm back to square one! I thought I was overwatering mine. It had those soft yellow leaves that come with overwatering....not crispy brown but soft yellow you know?
How is your soil up there, is it on the acidic side? Now I'm suspecting it could be the soil....

Up there? You mean over there......that part of the yard has a decent amount of topsoil in it. Generally our whole yard runs high- very high and is often a problem unless we've planted a S. reginae or bananas......that particular spot is probably neutral. I can tell you that I've seen night blooming jasmine get huge in all kinds of places from Orlando down through here, so it is probably not too picky about the soil it will grow in.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OK, so I probably need to yell at her!!! Bloom mother*, bloom! lol!!! Do you ever fertilize it?

Oh yes. I fertilize everything in this yard minimum 3 to 4 times a year.

Funny, that you say that, though. My rangoon creeper won't bloom- probably too much N in the analysis because it grows so much. I look over at my DH with a pout and ask him to "tell it to bloom!"

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

F4F my rangoon creeper hasn't bloomed either.....I only planted it this year though so that could be a cause.....I love the color green it has against my blue trellis but I really wanted those pink/red fragrant blooms I had when I bought it in the pot last year....at least my roses are making up for it right now. Still waiting on my jasmine vines too.

You've convinced me about the night blooming jasmine.....I've always been on the fence about it, so many people have said it is too strong of a fragrance but if you can bring it into the house. It's worth a try....can't say no to fragrance!

Thumbnail by astcgirl

Although Brunfelsia americana is now probably my number one fragrant, wherever I live in this world, there will always be a night blooming jasmine there.

mine is right at neutral but I did seem to read somewhere that they performed better in acidic soil. I don't consider soil a problem--watering or lackthereof, yes.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

f4f is the Bruns a slow grower? I got mine this year same time as a multitude of other plants - some even arriving weeks later...everythings growing like mad but it. Any helpful hints on what it likes i.e. sun, water?

My NBJ is the biggest one I've had yet - all kinds of growth...keep searching for some buds...hoping.... The night stock is blooming beneath it though so that'll keep me content for a while...although I'm not sure how long it will continue it's not liking the heat a whole lot (I knew that ahead of time though).

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Vossner, you are right, cestrum likes acidic soil...last night I fertilized with azalea ferts, let's see if this helps!
Chantell, I have a Brunfelsia and it is a slow grower, but it blooms profusely! Mine is in part shade and very happy. Oh, and it likes lots of water, it's on the same side as my ferns and I water those everyday.

Chantell, my Brunfelsia goes on and off in spurts for me, and overall I would call it a steady grower- not really a large plant, but I do have to prune mine a couple of times a year. They don't seem to like being steadily wet and don't want a whole lot of organic matter (like 75% or more peat would be too much for them like a Lambert mix). They like full sun.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

haha! That's funny! I wonder if bruns pauciflora (mine) and bruns. americana have different requirements?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you both...might move her pot to the front yard see if that helps her along a bit.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL Noticed that w/ya'll descriptions...however we're probably a "tad" more humid then you so I can understand the water thing.

B. Pauciflora (which we also have) would love a lot of organic matter and plenty of water. Ours is up by the mail box where there is no irrigation and I feel really bad for it when we go a couple of weeks without rain.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OK, then they are in fact different...but what Chantell brought up also makes total sense, we have ZERO rain over here!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hummm....my moon garden is kicking butt! Daturas totally in bloom, ipomonea alba in the same pot, still waiting for her first bloom.

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Nicotianas are a must in a moongarden. Ahhhhhhh....I'm addicted! Can you smell it from here?

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Very Nice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.