Heidi Chronicles: Of Cute, Cuddly Kits w/Clown Noses

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons that frequent my backyard buffet. Heidi's 08 kits, all 4 of them, are fat and fluffy and growing like little weeds.

Won't you join us as we spend time with them and watch them grow and learn about their new world.

The previous thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/872737
In the beginning, the thread that started it all: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

Below is a pic of one of the kits enjoying some watermelon, a favorite treat.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks again for starting a new thread. I sure love your stories and your raccoons!

Susan
=^..^=

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, great parting shot, and opening shot here, as usual!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight after work I took a nap. By the time I awoke it was 9PM, a bit on the late side for the raccoons' dinner. I fully expected that some of them might be waiting at the back door, but I was not at all prepared for the sight that greeted me there: 4 fat, fluffy little kits and one big momma Heidi waiting patiently at the back door. They were so cute I could not suppress the laughter as I looked out at them.

I gather 1/2 bag of grapes, green this time as that's what was on sale, along with the customary cat food and headed out. At the start of the meal, 1 kit eating from the dish with Heidi, 2 were eating together from the dish beside the mini birdbath (some distance away from mom), and one was hiding in the brush. I tossed a grape to each of them, those I could find, at least. In no time at all the blonde one was running across the grass over to my feet for more. A few minutes later the one that had been hiding in the brush sneaked out to run over to me as well.

Of the 2 that were eating beside the little birdbath, one is very timid. After a short time that one scooted back a bit into the brush behind is less timid sibling. At first I didn't see him hiding back there, but when I through another grape to the sibling up front, the one in the rear stood upright looking at me as if to say, "over here. throw it over here". Naturally, I tossed him one, and he gobbled it up. For the rest of the night, he remained back there, standing upright every few minutes to remind me to toss him another grape. He was too cute back there standing upright behind his sibling, hands outstretched to catch his grape, looking for all the world like a little masked quarterback!

Yep, despite the problems posed by overcrowding it looks as though this group may learn to trust me after all. (I had been concerned that we might take a step backward this year just due to the crowd.)

Last night Dennis had been so cute standing upright to eat from the edge of the table beside me so tonight when I set things up I poured him a few handfuls of cat food there. Sure enough, once again, that's where he spent the evening, standing there beside the little table, barely able to see over the top, his little hands reaching over the edge to grab the bits of kibble. Even though I had grapes, he behaved quite nicely - probably because Heidi was nearby and has been quick to let him know to cut it out around the babies.

In my pocket I had a very, tiny 4.5in plush teddy bear marketed for toy dogs along with 2 tiny balls (about 1.25-1.5inD), 1 made of a foam type material the other plastic. Widget (my Maltese) doesn't seem to like those tiny plush toys, but I find that they are popular with the raccoons who seem to prefer smaller items for play. I tossed the little bear over near the pool, and one of the kits immediately ran over to snatch it up in his mouth before anyone else could get it and take it back to the safety of the brush to play. I am always amazed at how they clearly recognize these man-made articles as toys, but clearly they do for that kit was on his way to claim that prize before it ever hit the ground. Lately, I've turned an important corner with the kits BTW. It wasn't so long ago that they would flee in terror whenever I threw anything there way. I tossed the plastic ball into the pool and the other one beside it.

About that time a fight, and I do mean a fight, broke out with the others. What started with 2 raccoons soon ended up in an all out brawl with 4 or 5 raccoons tumbling and snarling this way and that. Hearing all this racket, 2 of Heidi's kits rushed from the brush and up the fence to the safety of the trees. Although Heidi's area is across the small expanse of lawn from where the others eat, she wasted no time getting over there to give those involved in the melee a sound talking to - in that same "ehm-em-Em-uh!" manner, I might add. I may not understand that language, but I was pretty sure I knew what she was saying, "What the @##$$% are you raccoons thinking over here?! Can't you see that there are children nearby?! Is this any way to behave around the kits?! Where are your manners?!..." And that was the end of the argument. Everyone immediately resumed eating peacefully for the remainder of the evening.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Susan! : D

You are very welcome. Glad that you are enjoying the story!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, I'll bet that is exactly what she said, too!
That's wonderful that the new kits are so comfortable with you already!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, KyWoods! : D

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, KyWoods,

That and a whole lot more!
Since the antics of the crowd seem to cause the kits to spend more time in the brush than usual, I am quite pleasantly surprised to see that this doesn't seem to be keeping them from learning to trust me. In fact, tonight when I was pouring the food into the dishes, a couple of the kits stepped up to one of the dishes just as I was walking over to fill it. They didn't seem at all afraid of me. I pretty much had to pour the food on their heads and let in roll down into the dish. : )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The other night, the night after I took the good pics by mistake and before my 1st lesson with melody, I took a really, really horrid crop of photos as I tried to reproduce my 'mistake'. I would (and should) hide them far, far away somewhere except that a few of them illustrate a story for which only pictures will do. Here then with my apologies for the especially bad quality of the artwork is the 1st pic in that series. This is Rupert having the nerve to try to pull the Steal on one of the kits. I don't know about you but to me it just seems wrong for an adult to take candy from a baby. Then again, I guess she was hungry and probably thinks those chubbie kids are way too pampered.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As you can see, however, the kit either doesn't understand the whole Steal thing yet or is ignoring it. Here is the kit continuing to eat even as Rupert's tush is covering 1/2 the bowl.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

That's not working, so here is Rupert literally shoving the kit backwards with her rear.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

And, finally, here is the last shot in the series. This one shows the winner peacefully enjoying the spoils of victory.

When every effort failed to remove the kit from the dish (without resorting to violence, of course), Rupert finally gave up and walked away in disgust to look for food elsewhere while the kit continued to eat as though nothing had happened.

Edited to add: I don't know what made Rupert think those moves would work with the kit in the 1st place, Heidi can't even push them out of the way to get a bite these days.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 2:42 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

One of the kits with a small stem of grapes

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

kit with watermelon

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

another clown shot (odd how this seems to happen with kits)
Is it just me, or is he posing?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

If only I could get in here and go for a nice, cool, sweet, sticky swim I'd be the happiest little raccoon ever...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Now that I ran mom and baby sister off, at last it is...

MINE, ALL MINE!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hey, snap the picture already, would you? I can't be posing like this all night, you know. Cant you see I've got watermelon eatin' to do?

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 2:45 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hopefully you can see from the angle of some of those pics, esp the melon ones, just how close the kits are to me.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here from a few nights back is Fraidy trying to sneak a peak in my bag from under the table.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Fraidy standing on tippy toes to reach the little birdbath

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Fraidy eating peanuts off the lawn and looking like a kit herself

Edited to add: if you look closely you can see her tongue hanging out

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 10:52 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Another Fraidy pic

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Fraidy (left) beside Heid's kit (right). I've been trying for a while to get a pic that shows how small Fraidy is, something that is difficult to tell from pics of her alone. I think this one says it all.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

More pics from the past 2 weeks. Here is one of the kits with a frosting sandwich.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

kit licking syrup container

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Another shot of that

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh that just so funny. Glad ya posted them cuz they not bad pics. Rupert trying to do the steal and shove. Love the pics and the story. Maybe ya should play them some disco music and then give them all dancing lessons on how to do the bump. tee-hee.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh so glad to see the Fraidy pics. She looks cute peaking out from that table.

Love the quote. It so true and so beautifully said. I do hope you put it in the book. : )

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl -- so CUTE that top photo... doesn't it seem like the lil one is smiling? Just like that Rupert one from last year.

what adorable fat lil babies you have there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, starlight!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Terese,

That is one of my favorites, too. It really does look as though he is smiling. Funny thing is, check out the one about 1/2 way down the page, the one posted at 2:04AM. That guy is smiling, too, and also has a big nose. This big nose, smiling thing seems to be specific to the babies. Not matter how close up I get on the adults, they don't smile and they don't have such outrageously large noses.

BTW, I didn't forget about your picture. It just might take me a little while to get the time to look for it. That one was far enough back that it has long since been off loaded to a backup source. If it were on the backup hard drive I could find it easy enough, but I'm pretty sure that one is on DVD - in a 4in thick binder full of photo DVD's, mostly flower photos. I hope to get all of those loaded onto the backup hard drive someday but have more pressing things to do right now...but I promise I won't forget you.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH that's fine Cheryl -- I know it's not going anywhere .... and i'll give you a gentle nudge about once a year. *wink*

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is Cleo at the birdbath. Cleo, as you can see, has a rather long, narrow face. Notice the difference between this pic and the one of Fraidy at the birdbath. Cleo is also on the small side compared to the others, but whereas Fraidy had to stand full upright and on tippy toes to access the birdbath, Cleo isn't even extended into the upright position and the lower portion of her hind legs is still solidly on the ground.

Cleo is also nursing but I don't think I've seen her kits yet (unless she is the mystery mom)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

kits at play. from early july. they appear to be hearing sounds from neighbor's yard

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

same night

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Another from same night. Blondie getting a drink from the pool. I think that is Dennis in front

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

another. this was one of those rare nights when they were able to use the pool

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

reaching in for a peanut

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Group shot of the family. That's Blondie in front

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Calvin and Heidi share a watermelon