Weed?

New Boston, NH

Several years ago I found a weed /Vine huge growing thru some of my shrubsI pulled them out and finally figured they must come from some seed in the bird feed.It has a leave simmilar to a grape leave not as big and lighter in color,it grows like crazy.This summer I found one growing on an old welded wire fence at the back of one of the gardens when I went to pull it I remembered the saying a weed is just a plant in the wrong place.Thus I decided it could only help this ugly fence I have had more compliments on this little darlin.Anyone know what it might be?
Peter

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Photo?

New Boston, NH

Victor,Sadly all other four members of my family have and use digital cameras but after 44 years in the communication business I am totally burn out with anything technical and refuse to learn anymore technologies.I enjoy my garden and all my dogs etc but take NO pictures.My whole life I have been out of sync with the rest of the world why change now?
peter

Ha ha - I sympathize, Peter. Are you sure it's not a grape? I get tons of them, though I don't think they're pretty. How much does it grow in one season?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Does it have any flowers or fruit? The only vine I could think of with grape-like leaves is this one. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/58669/ Does any of the pictures look like yours?

New Boston, NH

Perhaps I will draft one of the kids to take a picture,but ngam the leaves are much larger than those the vine itslf is quite delicate it must grow 50 feet per year but is killed with frost.It has a pod later in the season.Definately not a grape Victor.I will see what I can do for a picture thought everyone would say,"oh that is such and such"?
Peter

Wow - 50 ft!

Craryville, NY

I too would love to see what you are referring to - draft the kidsm WTH, I understand, I am a technophobe as well! Up with Luddites :-)

New Boston, NH

Well believe it or not my wife got a good picture of the plant.Know I don't know how to put it on here.I can forward it as an email if that helps.
Peter

If you know how to locate it on your computer, you can. When you post, just click the Browse button and find it on the computer (a box will open with all your computer folders and files). Click the pic and click Open at the bottom of the box and you're done! You can do it.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm dying to see what the photo looks like, as I have an idea of what the plant might be.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Peter, is this your vine?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/232/

or maybe 'Matrimony Vine'?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2008 8:13 AM

New Boston, NH

Pixie,No, that is not the vine

Have you tried to upload the photo, Peter? Hadn't heard of the matrimony vine. I'm sure it chokes off all other living things...

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh Victor, that's bad. Funny but bad.

Thanks, but please don't tell my wife!!

New Boston, NH

Still trying to get the picture posted.
Peter

Raleigh, NC

i have a vine that's a weed that's similar to what you describe, and I can't get ahead of it this time of year. It germinates sometime in June, because I never see it until around now, but it grows three to four feet a day! About the time I notice it, two days later it's taking over my patio area fence! It's on my New Dawn Climbing rose now and it twines so I can't get it off.

I'll take a photo Wednesday when camera comes home with family.

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

Could it be Echinocystis lobata aka wild cucumber? Check here: http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/detail.asp?SpCode=ECHLOB.

I get a few of these each year and love to watch it leap along. The tightly curled tendrils are pretty cool, too - like miniature Slinkies.

Julie

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 7:30 PM

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Peter, Here's a website of native vines, such as woodbine and bittersweet to add to list of potentials.
There is also an asiatic bittersweet that is considered an invasive.
This is a gov. site and has some good info.
http://www.yardscaping.org/plants/n_vines.htm

I was going to suggest bittersweet bit the leaves don't really look like grape.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmmm. I really can't think of any vines that look like grape. What does clematis look like Victor?

The leaves are pretty boring, but also don't look like grape leaves at all.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?hedgebindweed Does this look like it? More pics of common weeds to check. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/thumbnail.asp

New Boston, NH

JulieKane you get ten points that is the plant Wild Cuccumber.When Corey gets a chance I will post my photo as it is quite attractive on my rusty old fence.Where would that have come from ,some how I suspect not the birdseed?
Peter

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 1:20 PM

New Boston, NH

Here is my wild cuccumber.
Peter

Thumbnail by gamekeeper

Congrats on the ID, Julie and congrats on posting the photo, Peter! What do you do with it? Let it grow?

New Boston, NH

In the past it has grown in my Russian Olive hedge so when I would notice it late in the season I just plulled it out.However this year one appeared out on this old fence I have to keep the dogs from revolting as I bring them out to their runs in the AM.You can see the roof that covers the dog runs behind the plant.Victor we had a lady from down your way Tappan Zee area move in across from me and she was so upset with the dogs barking in the AM when they go out they are excited and bark for a few minutes .She circulated petitions etc but I have been there for forty years before zoning came in and am grandfathered,Oh! Hum!
Peter

Sorry to hear that, Peter. Tappan is not real close to me, but in the area. Anyway, I'll always be a city kid!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Peter, it looks wonderful on that fence!

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the 10 points! Maybe I can cash them in for a garden helper who does NOT stand on a delphinium in full flower to pull garlic cress. Sigh. I know - she's young and willing, so why am I complaining. Lent her Tracy diSabato-Aust's Well Tended Perennial Garden, 1st ed., since I have the 2nd ed. as well.

Oops - off thread.....

Julie

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Peter:

I had a feeling that that's what your vine was. We have one, too. It used to grace the dog kennel fencing - a dog kennel we no longer have as we no longer have a dog.

I'm very glad you got it ID'd.

Craryville, NY

Peter: I have just looked in Wildman Steve's book for wild cucumber: here it is: it is in the Passionflower family, also known as Maypop. "You can peel the ripe maypop seeds and enjoy it raw, avoiding the many seeds. It has a sweet and cooling flavor. Maypop jams and beveragses are popular in the south. The fruit is a good source of beta carotene and niacin. Centuries ago, Peruvian Indiands discovered thart the fruits were a sedative and used them for insomnia and nervousness. The leaves and flowers have antispasmodic and nervine effects. The active ingredient is a safe, nonaddictive tran quilizer called maltol, althouth it works properly only with its other constituents. A tincture or infusion of the drived leaves and flowers is one of the best remedies for insomnia." from Wildman Steve Brill's book:Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places. So, it is not just a weed :-) Sleep well....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.