Tropical guava from Cuttings???

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

I tried taking softwood cuttings of a tropical guava (Psidium guajava), and they simply wilted then dried up. They were in a sandy medium, but I did not have any rooting hormone. Is this just not the way to propagate these babies? Better to start from seed?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Starting them from seeds can take quite a long time, but since the sun is on your side (unlike your northern neighbour - like me), and if you're patient then I would say yes to starting them from seeds (remember, it takes about 1-3 years for the seedlings to establish, then another 2-5 years for them to fruit). To germinate them is pretty easy, I don't know how to do it with guava seeds though (I've germinated mangoes, jackfruits, lychees, mangosteen in a "mock green house" - you soak the seeds and scarify them and stratify them etc etc. but I don't think these methods are needed for dinky guava seeds and considering that you're located in can I say near tropical region?).

My aunt had a mature plant already and she took cuttings from the tree and now that cutting has been sitting in her house for years, waiting to be picked up by yours truly.It's been established for about 2 years now and I think it's ready to fruit lol. Most people would recommend it this way because it cuts down on time for the trees to fruit and to ensure that the new tree will be similar to that of the parent tree.

I for one do not do well with propagation through cuttings...roses, fuschias, clematis and the other softwood cuttings. I guess it's just me lol. I tried propagating fuschias and they wilted too...so now I'm planning to put a plastic bottle or another similar contraption to increase humidity..and remember to avoid direct sunlight as most softwood cuttings will dry up and shrivel...most articles recommend indirect sunlight, just like where you would put orchids is what I'm thinking. lol I don't know if you want to take advice from somebody who can't propagate plants from softwood cuttings, but the blurb above is just and idea =)

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Well I didn't realize it, but the AHS Encyclopedia of Gardening has instructions on propagating Guava from seed as well as softwood cuttings. Mine were too small - they instruct 5-6 inches long, and they were about 3 inches. They also recommend rooting hormone be applied. Simple layering is another method they recommend.

Fulton, MO

Guavas are very difficult from cuttings. I consider myself pretty good with cuttings, and I have never gotten one to root. I found directions on another forum, can't find them right now, but I recall that they were to cross-cut length-wise the end of the cutting (ie, split the stem length-wise into four quadrants). Way easier from seed.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

How lucky that I found this thread! I just got a young plant online in a 3" pot. It is Psidium guajava too. How large does it need to be before it can bear fruit? I don't have much room and if I could I would prefer to keep it in a large pot as my fig tree.
Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Thanks!
Roberta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.