Which variegated Agave is this?

Philadelphia, PA

This amazing specimen grows in Trinidad... at least 5 ft tall and so healthy. Is that agave americana "marginata?"

Thumbnail by tessies10th
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Try this site http://www.yuccado.com/ you might find a match.

We don't grow the one in your photo around here (in FL).

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Keaau, HI

Not an Agave, but rather it's close relative: Furcraea selloa 'Marginata'. A native of Columbia, and the most cultivated species of Furcraea. It does well from the tropics to nearly frost-free areas.

Philadelphia, PA

Well - there is a difference - Furcraea selloa 'Marginata' seems to be elevated on a thick trunk in several of the photos on the web. The plant that I saw had it's base firmly on the ground... the "stiffness" and proportions are very similar though... Unless the lack of "trunk had something to do w/ maturity - I'll ask about flowering.

Thumbnail by tessies10th
Keaau, HI

The plant matches up with Furcraea selloa var. marginata, in Mary & Gary Irish, "Agaves, Yuccas, and Related Plants."; and it looks exactly like the Furcraea selloa 'Marginata' in my garden.

Philadelphia, PA

I'll take your word for it then... how old is yours? Any sign of a trunk? Do you ever need to trim base leaves (which wld leave a trunk behind)? Many thanks!

Keaau, HI

I have never trimmed the bottom leaves off my Furcraea or Agave plants, but see this done in urban areas. I think it robs the plant of nutrition to help it mature. They produce a hugh flower stalk when they finish their lives, and make hundreds of bulbils. They sometimes make offsets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.