Mexican Flame Vine Question

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought some of these early this growing season and they are HUGE but have no flowers yet! Each place I have them they are only able to climb about 5 feet. Is that the problem? They get varying amounts of sun, from 4 to 10 hours, depending on the 3 locations.

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Connie, I dunno why yours aren't blooming, they don't require anything special as far as I've seen to get many blooms, maybe it is something to do with the height? Really just wanted to say how wonderful your palnts look, so healthy!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Some plants take some time to get their roots going, then they put out top growth, then they'll get around to flowers--I don't have this particular plant but I have 5 or 6 other vines that I planted earlier this year and none of them have bloomed this year. So as long as they look healthy I wouldn't worry too much, they're probably just getting settled in. Amount of sun could be a factor but at least for the one that gets 10 hrs that can't possibly be too little! The only other thing I can think of is fertilizer, since you got them this year and they are already huge, if you've been fertilizing them that could have stimulated lots of green growth at the expense of flowers. I think these do fine in pretty lean soil.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Bloom Booster

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah.....Bloom Booster. Company? I did buy some tomato bloom setter...someone told me it will set blooms in any plant. Haven't had time to spray it on yet.

Ecrane....I think I do sometimes get too much foliage, now that you mention it. I apply the Rapid Gro in the bottles that you attach to a sprayer and just spray the entire yard! Probably not a good idea for the "scrappy" plants that love to struggle and just bloom their little hearts out, huh?

Azreno...thanks so much! In 5 years here I've only had one outbreak of scale and it was this year! Otherwise, no chemicals at all. And I did a natural oil for the scale. Hope it works and I don't have to pull out the big guns! :-)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I hope it works, too! I hate scale, they are the worst :(

I am using way fewer chemicals these days and I notice a huge difference in the bugs, I have so many new bugs (mostly good!) lol and birds to eat them, it's good to see a balance being.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Your vine looks beautiful. I also planted one this Spring. It was in full bloom when I bought it and has grown to about 5 foot but not as thick as yours. It just finished the second flush of flowers. Two flowers both times. LOL

It is in regular garden soil, 6 to 8 hrs of sun. I have a Snail Vine and a Candy Corn Vine near by and both of them are blooming well but both are at least two years old. I have also wondered what it takes to get a good bloom on the Flame Vine.

I have also wondered if it is age. I have 4 Chilean Jasmine,
Mandevilla laxa also growing in the same area. They are at least 3 years old, grown from seed. Big, beautiful plants but still not a single bloom on either plant. Any ideas? One is in Morning sun, one 6 to 8 hrs Morning to afternoon sun the other two are in almost full sun.

Saint Paul, MN

Even without flowers those leaves look lush and gorgeous. Maybe its one of those vines that dont like rich soil.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, grik. I thought so too...couldn't for the life of me figure it out. So, I thought I'd throw it to you guys here on DG. I'l certainly post when I see a first, itty-bitty bloom!!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I use Bloom booster on my Mexican Flame vine its huge and blooms a lot i also have the Brazillan flame vine i got from Azreno as cutings its starting to make buds Paul

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have tomato bloom setter. Think that would work?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Mine blooms nonstop and I have never fertilized it.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I got some cuttings of Mexican Flame vine from beckygardener last spring and it took off really well. It's full of blooms too. I mixed some peat moss into this nasty ol' clay soil we have and that's all it got other than water when it needs it. It gets about 6-7 hours of sun per day.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

this is when it was 8 months old paul

Thumbnail by phicks
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh...I'm so jealous of that show of color, phicks! Maybe mine just don't get enough PURE sun. It's more dappled this time of year. ??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.