Iris good enough to exchange?

Port Sanilac, MI

I planned on digging up the old, old clumps of iris and tossing them. These have been on the property for at least 20 years and maybe as long as 50. Some clumps bloom every year. The flowers are extremely small and I thought they would get larger with TLC I broke up some and replanted them 2 years ago but the flowers are still small. They are an early bloomer and each plant sends up 6-8 stems of flowers. Their pale blue color (the picture is a little too lavander) and small size completely make me think my first thought (tossing them) is best but I see at dg that heirloom iris are popular. I'd hate to destroy them and then find out there are people who would like them. Kay

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Kay if you would send some for postage I would love some!!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

They're very pretty!

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I will take 2 each of anything you want to ship. I may already have the pale
blue one. Mine are tall, 45"-48", with the thin wiry flower stems and pale blue
with a faint fragrance. I will take them anyway just in case they are different.
The darker fall in the lower right corner is close to some I have found in the
wild or growing in remote places. I will take a sample of them also if you
want to part with them. I am trying to build up a base group of oldies.
Will pay the postage anyway you want.

South Hamilton, MA

The flowers are proably small because they are diploids instead of tets. Many people enjoy them--look on the website for HIPS (Historic Iris Preservation).

Port Sanilac, MI

Marieortiz and oldgardenrose; I will be glad to send you the iris for postage. I do have a couple of questions about shipping the iris as I am a newbe. I understand about how to clean them for shipment but I am not sure how to package them. I'll start a new thread to get some information and get back to you. Thanks for your interest. I'm also going to check out the HPS site.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

id like some for postage too. i love all irises please

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you so very much Kay!!

Port Sanilac, MI

Thanks for all the interest. I will get out in the garden the first of the week and get the plants ready for the three of you and anyone else who wants them. I will ship by priority mail, let you know when shipped, and you can send the postage when you receive them. So glad I don't have to throw them all out:) Kay

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is great Kay. Ia m glad you did not throw them out either!!

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Kay,
If you have a couple of extra, I would take them for postage also. I love the historics. Reminds me of when I was little and in my mom's flowers.
Thanks,
Laura

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

For general info, I checked the catalog of a major grower who had a few of
the oldies for sale. They averaged $12.50 each plus a minimum of $8.50
s&h. I have no problem whatsoever paying whatever for postage. Please
send me 2 each of anything you want to discard. These oldies are hard to
find where the newer hybrids are everywhere. Thanks a lot. Jerry

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

DITTO on the historic love! kay, I will take one or two of anything you want to give away too. I am starting a whole new bed with lots of historics I got recently.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Kay I would love to get a couple from you if you any left. Just let me know how much and where to send it.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I would love some also.. and will pay postage. the older varieties smell wonderful.
Elaine

Prattville, AL

If you possibly still have some for postage I would appreciate it. I'm making a new flower bed with irises from momma's and need more to round it out. Just let me know.
Thank you
Lynn

Saint Paul, MN

Kay, I would like to have one or two rhizomes too. I would also be happy to send you some if you wish and have space. From your picture, these look like diploids which grow well. If they bloom VERY early, they may be a type of intermediate but they don't look like it in the picture. I would suggest replanting some ( 3 or 4) in a different location where they can still get sun and maybe your bloom size will increase a little. If you want larger blooms, ultimately you will probably need a different variety.

Port Sanilac, MI

I still have 2-3 of these iris that I could ship to one more person. Any takers for postage? Kay

Golden Meadow, LA

Hey if you still have those 1 or 2 I would pay postage on em :) Will dmail you :)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Kay, you should check with Wandasflowers, she has a registered historic iris garden. She might want some and might be able to help you identify some...

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Kay,
You have d-mail. :)
Laura

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Kay!
I would love a couple of each for postage if you have any left.
Thanks Winni

Port Sanilac, MI

winnietn and anyone else who might want more of these iris===I will be moving more of them sometime soon and will get ahold of you at that time to make sure you still want them. I will send for postage or iris exchange, whichever works for you. Kay

Hey, welcome back from vacation!!! Now I can send off your package!

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Kay I would love to have a few for postage if you have extras

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kay ,
Will look forward to hearing from you.
Winni

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I realize I'm way at the bottom of the list, but if you wrap up all your previous requests, and still have some left, I'd definitely be interested in some.
thank you
-T

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

To persons with older Iris varieties: I am looking for an iris my grandmother had. It was small, around 12" high with small blooms which were yellow and bronze/red. It was from the 1940's and much more like native "flags" rather than bearded iris. If anyone knows where I can find this plant I would greatly appreciate it; bob

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Talk to Wandasflowers, she has a iris historacal preservation garden. She might be able to help you or at least help you identify the iris you're looking for...

Check "Honorabile"
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/33172/

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank You. I've D Mailed several members who have this old iris and hopefully can get a start. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Just wanted you to know your babies are in the ground and they are getting a good rain from Fay. Has your postage arrived yet? Thanks again for sharing.
Winni

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.