Butterfly, bloom and a battle

Vieques, PR

I was trying to shoot a picture of this butterfly (moth?) on my Caesalpinia pulcherrima, but all of a sudden it was acting oddly, trying to alight, but seeming unable to do so. Then I noticed there was a little, white/green spider of some sort, lashing out at it to protect the bloom he had already occupied.

First pic is just the butterfly and the bloom...

This message was edited Jul 18, 2008 7:41 AM

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Vieques, PR

...then it was "Get offa mine!"

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

What timing! I don't think I ever would have seen that spider if you had not told me it was there in the picture. Did you have your camera on any special setting to capture that?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful picture, but help me please! I can't for the life of me see the spider, it must be really well camoflaged! Now we all know why I get so many spider bites in the garden - I don't see them!

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Look just up and to the left of the butterfly's left wing. It is one of those whitish greenish nearly translucent garden spiders.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh yes! Thanks! I missed it completely! Very cool!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That picture is worthy of a poster.

Vieques, PR

Here's the spider --it's a type that gathers two sets of legs together and draws them back behind its head. It uses them the way a crab does, kind of like a boxer, jabbing at the butterfly with both sets at once.

Sorry about the focus here...my "macro" focus setting is tricky.

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

JP what fantastic shots! Not only is the flower gorgeous (one of my favorite plants btw), but you've got nature in action there. Great job! Thanks for sharing!

Yokwe,
Shari

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.