Hydrangea Annabelle or Not?

Brattleboro, VT(Zone 5a)

Last year I got involved in a discussion regarding my hydrangea, which turns brown instead of the nice mauve shades after it blooms. It was suggested that it was probably Hydrangea Annabelle. I learned from the intrepid victorgardener that it was good to cut it back nearly to the ground in the spring, which I did fearlessly at the end of April. I loved every minute of it, since it grows out of and around the few remaining stones of an old wall that makes it difficult to tidy up in the fall. It is also very near the street, so it gets a good dose of sand from the winter road care. After my joyful pruning, I gave it a good top dressing of Moo Dirt, a blend of topsoil and well, you know, moo do. I understood that the pruning should result in larger blossoms. So it has come back nicely full and green, looking very healthy, but....hardly any blossoms and very small ones. Now what? Is this my fault? Or is this indeed Annabelle or some impostor?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Do you have a photo? I never fertilize mine. Is it possible your fertilizer is too high in nitrogen? Here's mine from last week. They are about 12 inches across!

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I cant see them!

It's there!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Ok I see it now! lol! ☺

Brattleboro, VT(Zone 5a)

Sorry, Victor, I do not have a photo. I did wonder if the problem was too much nitrogen. The soil looked so dismal with all the sand on it that I thought a dose of topsoil was a good idea, but maybe not. Or at least not with the added fertilizer. I guess I will just have to let it wear off, so to speak, and see if it improves next year. Your plant is certainly beautiful in bloom. But mine does have a nice shape now and at least it is green!

(Zone 4a)

I have always wanted some kind of hydrangea - love those pink or blue ones but I think i would kill it....

Anyhow good luck with yours...I hope you get to see more blooms!

Your winters would be too much for the mopheads, Dawn. Hopefully next year will be better, marcha.

Brattleboro, VT(Zone 5a)

Here it is next year--time goes way too fast! But the hydrangea has fewer (only two or three) and smaller blooms. I cut it back in the spring, even earlier this year since the weather permitted. Did not add any topsoil or fertilizer. It is very full and green, but lacks blooms. At this point, I don't know what to do. I never used to cut it back at all, so I guess I will have to try that and see what happens next year. It did bloom in the past. My main complaint was that it was not the variety with blossoms that gradually turn from white to shades of pink to mauve by fall. They just turned brown. I am also back to asking if this is really Annabelle. Any thoughts out there?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Don't know if what you have is annabelle, but in your zone wouldn't bloom ever if it was a mophead and you cut it back unless it was one of the new kinds that bloom on old and new growth. Here is a very informative site that gives info on all aspects of hydrangea care. Breaks them down into categories and has good info on pruning, growing,changing colors, drying flowers etc. Hope it helps. http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/

This message was edited Aug 17, 2009 11:21 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.