First Maters 2008

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2008 7:29 PM

This message was edited Jul 16, 2008 7:29 PM

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have had several kinds already
still waiting for some of the others/

I had german pink,tiffinay.micro tom.garden peach.silvey fir tree......and some others! YUMMY
waiting for black krim.cherokee purple and my blueberry crossed one!!!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm not even sure if mine will be ripe by frost there so small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Gonna be awhile for mine too.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Paul. Is this the new "invisible" variety of tomatoes?

We've got lots of green ones but nothing ripe yet. Soon I hope. In the meantime we're eating lots of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, onions and zuchinni and squash.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

see ya'll should buy your mators from me!!!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I tried to post a pix but for some reason it wouldn't go.

I've been picking maters for a week now, they're the Burpee 4th of July. Its a 58 days to maturity.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Here they are

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

oh my.....wowowow...smiles..Diana..this time you did good..Paul..smiles..

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Great pic Paul!!

I better go down and check out the garden. I haven't been down to look at anything in 4 or 5 days. I just might have some ripe cherry tomatoes down there. I hope so. I'm sure there is more squash to pick. :)

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I have cherry 100's we ate them today and I picked my first red star (i think the name of them ) I love the summer !

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

So far we've had Supersweet 100, yellow cherry & patio tomatoes ripen. Anybody canning tomatoes? I sure could use some good recipes for anything tomato based. Last time my salsa was watery and the marinara sauce kind of tasteless.

Thanks, Mary Ellen

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Mary Ellen, there is a canning forum on Daves you should check out. I have never canned tomatoes before but I plan to try this year. I have a bunch of jars I retrieved from my mom's house when we were cleaning it out for her to move in with us. They are just sitting in boxes out in the garage waiting fo rme to learn how to can. :)

Brenda

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Brenda, will do. I'm still trying to find my way around here. There is so much information! Would you like to tutor me? LOL I've done a bit of canning over the years if I can be of any assistance in that department. (By the way, your granddaughter is adorable!)

Mary Ellen

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I just subscribe to ALL of the topics. That way when I click on forums they are all there. I then scan down through the topics of interest to me and jump in with questions or reading.

The only things I plan to try to can are the tomatoes. I might use some of the green peppers and add onion and make a kind of stewed tomato to can. Saves a lot of work when you are cooking since I put onion and peppers into almost everything I make. :) By the way, have you seen the price of peppers? OMG, I ran into our local IGA and they had the price of one pepper at $2.99. Can you believe that. Three bucks for one lousy pepper. I will either freeze or can everything I'm growing this summer. We just can't afford those kinds of prices. Soon everyone will be gardening.

Thanks for the compliment on my little granddaughter. She is just as sweet as she looks. So polite. Everything is "please", "thank you", "sorry". Her mother is doing a good job of teaching her manners. The other day she got away from me on my bed when I was trying to change her diaper. She loves to run up to the top of the king bed and hide in all the pillows and pretend to snore. Well, she stood up and peed the bed good. I was so mad. We had to strip the bed and wash the comforter and everything. She knew I was not happy and she said "Sorry" and my heart melted. She's only 2.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Loon poor baby she diden't mean to pee in your bed some times it just falls out I'd melt too what a cup cake hay I'm going to be in AuGres next Tuesday if every thing works out around 10;00 a.m. going to the daylily farm maybe we can meet up ???
Gloria

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

The price of groceries is so high I think it inspired everyone to put a garden in this year. We have 2 grown sons living with us & an 11 year old daughter. I've planted 40 each of assorted tomato plants and pepper plants plus lots of onions. Do you have a food mill? I have the Victorio Food Strainer & Sauce Maker and I absolutely love it for tomatoes & applesauce. Makes it so much easier! I like to freeze the peppers cut into strips for stir fry. Did you know that if you freeze them laid out flat on a cookie sheet (just like berries) then bag them, you can pull them out one at a time as needed? I didn't know that when I started freezing them.

Enjoy your beautiful granddaughter. I don't have any grandchildren yet, but I was blessed with my youngest daughter (the 11 year old) rather late in life and she is a ray of sunshine. Guess who is in the gardens the most with me, marveling at the wonder of it all? : ) Bedspreads as well as crystal globes (we had an accident too) will soon be forgotten, but the love & joy that are shared will be eternal. You know, with my arthritis I usually feel like her grandma. I'm certainly old enough to be! LOL

Mary Ellen

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Gloria,

I'll make sure I'm around on Tuesday to meet up with you. I sent you D mail with my address and number. I went by the daylily farm the other day and it was so pretty with so many in bloom. We'll have a good time. Looking forward to meeting you.

Mary Ellen, how wonderful that you have a little helper in the garden. I hope my granddaughter will be a big help to me too. I let her plant some pumpkin seeds and when she comes over I fill up her little watering can and let her water them. They are running everywhere and I think we're all amazed at how well they're doing. I've never grown pumpkins before. I hope we can harvest some and make some pumpkin bread together. I'll take her picture by her pumkins when they are ripe in the fall.

I don't have a food strainer. I ususually dice up the tomatoes and put them in the freezer after sucking the air out of the bag and it works OK. That is a good tip on the peppers though. I usually dice them up and pop them in a big bag and take out as I need them. Right now my peppers are buried under squash leaves. I planted them too close. I didn't think the squash leaves would get that big. I hope they still bare OK.

I have one little tomato turning red. Yea!!

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.