Looking for vines to replace evil Oriental Bittersweet

Melrose, MA

I live just north of Boston MA and have taken out an Oriental Bittersweet that was covering an ugly chain-link fence. I need a reasonably fast growing vine or vines--perennials, for the long term--that will do a good job screening the fence, will do well in this zone (6) and will tolerate dry, somewhat sandy soil and full sun. I've been considering Aristolochia durior (Dutchman's pipe); Vitis coignetiae (Crimson Glory Vine, though I haven't been able to find it in local nursuries); Akebia quinata (not sure it will provide dense coverage); Porcelain Vine (though I have read that it is invasive); and Actinidia kolomikta (Kolomikta Vine, also haven't seen in nursuries). Any and all comments, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Akebia is a great choice,and makes quite dense foliage. The foliage is very attractive, also.

It is evergreen where I live, but you may have to google it, to see if it is evergreen in your zone
-T

Melrose, MA

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look into akebia.
--R

Saint Paul, MN

I have a Porcelain Vine 'Elegans'- the varigated one. I've had a couple of seedlings over the years but not so that I would call it invasive. There also is a related vine I've grown Ampelopsis aconitifolia. This has pretty green foliage and orange berries. Its pretty in a subtle way.

You could also try the American Bittersweet if you liked the orange berries - Bailey's Nursery just released a cultivar with extra large berries.

Have you thought of Sweet Autumn Clematis Clematis ternifolia- it smells great (not sure about the dry sandy soil though)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.