Moving an azalea?

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi all, I inherited an azalea that has been in place for many years. I'd like to relocate it but have no idea if that is possible with azaleas? Are they more of a 'likes to stay in one place' plant? My grandfather had wild success with them, but his knowledge went with him.

Thank you!

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

well, I'm sort of surprised that others didn't answer earlier. The answer is really both yes and no (or yes and yes really). Is it possible to relocate it? Yes. But, do they prefer to stay in one place? Yes. Unless there's something bothering them about the spot they're in. Anyhow, it is possible to move it, but expect it to suffer some shock. But, with Much TLC they usually recover Most of the time. Don't do it during the summer, the shock might be too much. If you must move it the best time is generally in the fall when it is starting to go dormant, unless you're moving it to a very cold climate and then you might want to do it in the early spring. It's going to ask for a lot from you for the first year or two afterwards!

Thank you!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

They don't have taproots but instead a very fibrous mass of roots close to the surface so try and take as much of a rootball with soil as possible. I have transplanted a few with success. I usually will take the plant and "hold" it in a large container of water for a few days before replanting and make sure the new hole is already prepared. You may want to try some Superthrive on it when you do to help lessen the transplant shock. I haven't used the product before this year but some people swear by it.

Doug

Got it - thanks. How much water should I hold it in? Few inches?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Just enough to cover the roots should do it. Good luck.

Doug

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I love superthrive!!! I have been using it for years, since when it was still hard to find. It's worth every penny that i paid for it.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2008 1:01 PM

Okay, that's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure

Thank you again!
Catherine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.