Best way to ship Iris now?

Franklin Springs, NY(Zone 4b)

I would like to mail some Iris this week, but am not sure about how much (or if) I should cut back the leaves. These are all good-sized plants that did not blossom this year, but probably will next, and I'm afraid if I hack them it will set them way back.
The leaves are all still very green and many like this one are sending up new shoots.
I've been babying them for three years after separating a solid mass of rhizomes that were no longer blossoming, and I had to bury some quite deeply because they barely had any roots. One finally flowered this spring, and the rest have developed nice, strong root systems.
Any advice on sending them off would be greatly appreciated.
Also, what would be best at this point for those - like this one, that has it's rhizome slightly covered but is sprouting new leaves?
Thanks, Shelley

Thumbnail by NYrainshine
West Bend, WI

It's safe to trim the leaves back. All commercial growers do and they are all shipping at this time of year. Cut the fans of leaves back to about 4 to 5 inches tall.

But MOST important, wash them. Take those rhizomes outside and give them a good powerwash with your hose then let dry in an airy shady place. Don't bake them in the sun. Make sure they are dry before packaging for shipment.

Do not ship irises with ANY soil still attached. That's how soil borne diseases are transmitted.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

After washing those rhizomes, put them in a bleach bath (solution of 1cup bleach to 9 cups water), soak for 20 minutes, rinse well, then let dry.

THANK YOU. Didn't know that.
I haven't sent anyone any plants yet, although I have made a few trades. ( I just became a full member last Friday)
The soil could be a problem on any plant then. What about those with finer roots. Should I bag them in wet peat or vermiculite?
I don't ever buy plants through the mail, so I don't even have a commercial reference.

Just washed and trimmed a few plants. They look great. Very interesting too. I feel like I'm back in Botany class. They've come a long way from when I got them.

Thumbnail by NYrainshine
Lebanon, OR

NEVER bag bearded iris roots, they MUST be allowed to breath or they will set in with ROT...

this is how I do it and I am a grower, dig, label, trim, clean, treat, dry for until roots are NICE AND DRY, box BAREROOTED and ship.

Hope this helps

If you have any more questions please ask.

D

Another good tip, if you are sending several and you know the name write it on the foliage with a black fine point permanent marker. No mix ups while planting at their new home.

West Bend, WI

Shelley,

I know what you mean...lol...I kind of like taking a look at mine after they are all washed off and seeing all the new growth, etc.

It IS interesting. I occasionally get some that look a little strange. This one was kind of odd...

Thumbnail by Cheesy

Cheesy, I recently received some in a trade (Enya) that looked like that. I'll be watching to see if they stay that way.
Here's how I prep for a group swap.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.