Can I see your nanners ???

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I was looking at my garden and had to laugh and ask my self..do you like bananas??
This a noid from Texasgal77 it's really starting to make big leaves : )

Thumbnail by kimarj

Basjoo this is the second one....the first one did not come back : (

Thumbnail by kimarj

Double Mahoii

Thumbnail by kimarj

Musella

Thumbnail by kimarj

Blood Banana

Thumbnail by kimarj

Siam Ruby and Dwarf Cavendish

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 7:54 PM

Thumbnail by kimarj

Pink Ornamental from placenciarita : )
I also planted a Stuttgart Canna to get a Ae Ae look but it's just green lol : )
I showed you my nanners...may I see yours ???

Thumbnail by kimarj
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Beautiful nanners! I have a noid to show, not too pretty, but gooooooooooooooood! Left them in Miami, sniff, sniff!

Thumbnail by goofybulb

Wow I would love to eat a fresh banana!!! You can get them to fruit in TX right???

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Have no idea! I left them behind... :o(
they were yummy!

Shame ..will you try to grow some more??? Now that you know how good they taste how can you go back to store bought???? : }

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hard... I will think about it. Anyway, tomorrow I'll go visit them!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a few on the side to the left and in the far back ground

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

And then my cozy corner near the wishing well that wishes someone would paint it!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Nice!!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

All the 'nana's look great, so healthy! What lovely tropical gardens you all have.

We just had the people in from Invasive Species Dept. in again to check for curly top virus, all clear in my garden, but they have now found the virus in my neighborhood so they are giving us all checks every month. The virus is carried by aphids, so no-one is immune to getting it. It would truely be devastating if this virus runs rampant on the islands, banana's are one of the biggest home garden food scource here.

Dallas, TX

My Siam Ruby.

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow! That is a very interesting leaf!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny...please could you give a little more info on curly-top? What a scary thought - this virus in your neighborhood! Does it only affect bananas, or does it attack other plants as well?

Yokwe,
Shari

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

If you get a chance and a lot of room, get an Abbysian Banana. Not edible but in my opnion one of the most stunning plants in the world. I didnt take this.

Thumbnail by LApalms

Love your Siam Ruby!! mines is a baby : )
I hope this virus does not get widespread....how awful.

LA I can only grow them for there beauty no GH.Abbysian is a stunner!

Aloha,

Banana curly top,also called banana bunchy top, is a virus carried from banana to banana on the feet of aphids (Lord only knows how they know it's just on their feet!). I am not sure if this particular virus causes problems in other crops but the Invasive Species men only checked the banana in my garden and didn't seem to be interested in anything else.

I had a quick lesson from them to identify the virus - When a new leaf is coming out it should be tightly rolled up like a cigar, and the next leaf down should be larger than the cigar. Bunchy top leaves are all mis-shaped and small. Also, a banana that has bunchy top will produce no fruit, so if you have fruit on the banana you are okay...

One of the things that you can do to help prevent bunchy top is to hose off the banana plants off every now and then, aphids don't like it wet, I guess! I did ask them what they do if they find bunchy top, they told me they let it die in place (they didn't say if they actually killed it) and then they dispose of it - of course by then I expect the aphids have gone to the next plant!

I imagine Dave or Carol will probably have better info than I do - or maybe they don't have it on the BI where they are because it's too wet for the aphids, Kihei is the aphid capitol of Hawaii I think!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I hose my banana trees down regularly, as well as water their roots. So far no sign of odd leaves. My Mom used to get aphids on her daylilies. I think she used the dish soap and water mixture on them if I remember correctly. Sure hope they can keep it under control there.

Mom said she heard on the news the other day that mealy bugs were really becoming a BIG problem here.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Red Oak, TX

Kimarj, you have quite a collection. They are all looking very good.

Thumbnail by prita

Hi Rita!!! Thanks they are my babies : ) Yours are beautiful.

Kealakekua, HI

Has anyone had problems with banana moths?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Not me!

Kealakekua, HI

here are mine hope it worked

Thumbnail by mlassi
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

not sure - it's grown like a weed this year thought..siam ?

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Manini-Mai Koa'ae from the Big Island

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Wow mlassi!!
Siam weed.....lol. Randy MMK was your birthday gift right?...what a beauty sigh....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

uh huh

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

praying hands naners getting bigger

Thumbnail by candela
Keaau, HI

I love this thread; I'm impressed at all the variety!

The Hawaiian plant is correctly named mai'a koa'e, although a kind old Hawaiian man told me the name is manini 'o koa'e.

In Hawaiian mai'a refers to banana. Koa'e and manini refer to striped or variegated.

A hui hou, Dave

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

we better tell Carol!...that's where the name and nanner came from

Keaau, HI

Hey RJudd, don't hassel Carol on the technical name of the plant. If you got one, you have one of the rarest Musa cultivars on Planet Earth.
Mai'a koa'e is a somatic (in place) mutation of the common Hawaiian banana; mai'a moali. This is the staple food-crop which has survived the Pacific Island Nations!

What a wonderful collection of 'nana's you all have! When we bought the house we were told that there were 7 different types of banana in the garden. However the only one I can identify is the apple banana. Some friends of ours from Micronesia told me that one of the bananas we have are a favorite of theirs - they poach them in coconut milk although they are not a plantain (sp?). They happily dug up some of the keiki to plant in their garden.

Dave, thanks for all the info on the koa'e, I wonder if Carol knows what she has growing in her piece of paradise how cool is that!

Aloha, and welcome Candela!

Keaau, HI

Hey Jen, if you can show photos of the fruit on the stalk and then the split ripe fruit, I may be able to ID the cultivars for you.
As banana varieties have fed the third world since the beginning of time, I am very interested in their continuance.

Mahalo Dave!

Will start to take pictures this weekend of the stalks we have right now. By split ripe fruit you mean just as they split their skins and before they unpeel themselves and cascade down into the sink?!

Would also like to pick your brains about a fruit tree we have in the garden. It looks just like a peach (none on the tree now, it fruits in spring) it even has the fuzzy skin, but it is small, hard and sour - I will pick a leaf tomorrow after work. I think that maybe someone planted a peach tree without realizing that peaches need some chilling hours, but surely then we wouldn't have any fruit at all would we? Ring any bells off the top of your head?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.