Bulbs in the shade garden

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

I'm considering putting in erythronium and anemone de Caen. Any suggestions as to what to plant around them to cover dying foliage later in the season?

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 12:29 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Interesting, Sis! How close would you plant the bulbs to an established fern or hosta? Are the leaves dying back by the time the hosta starts covering it? Wouldn't you have to move the bulbs after a couple of years?

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 12:30 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

So you don't actually have the erythronium or anemones? These are supposed to be good for shady areas.

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 12:30 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Yup, correct spelling. They are a rather unusual bulb and probably not available in the majority of catalogues. Some varieties are known as trout lilies or dog-tooth violets. Canadian Gardening had an article on them in the last issue.

The anemones de Caen are also known as blue poppies.

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 12:31 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

I haven't got them yet, will tackle that after Labour Day. It's a Canadian supplier who doesn't ship to the States, I'm afraid. But if you want to drool in vain at the online catalogue, it's http://www.botanus.com. Check the Unusuals section.

A Google search would probably find you an American supplier.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i have some anenome de caen seed if you're interested, you'll prob not get flowers next year though.. janet i'll send some with your nasturtiums..do you want any sis?

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 12:31 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.