I'm green and grow in the ground. Who am I???

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

We discovered this plant growing in an area of the yard. We had not planted it and wonder what it might be.
I am planning to add it to the big hill behind the house because it seems to be an aggressively growing ground cover.
Chuck

Thumbnail by dogwalker
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks like Houttuynia - and you don't want it if it is! Break a leaf - does it smell strong?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2164/

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 12:08 PM

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

EEIK!!!!

I guess that mean you have it too, Willie?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Picture the Little Rascals ...... AAAAAANNNNND How!

Adding:

Worst yet ..... it was a self-inflicted wound

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 7:28 PM

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It is pretty but I have had it for years and it s in a lot of my flowers and I can't get rid of it now!!

Same here. Did not even spread for about five years and I was wondering what all the fuss was about! Ugh! have you tried to get rid of it?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I have not tried yet .... I am thinking of digging up what I can. Maybe heat under black plastic will work. Hard area as it is at the bottom of the north west side of the house.

Hate to have to use chemicals on that, TOO!

Not TOO grown in there between the rhode and the barberry, eh???

Seems to be held in place by the tall white plumey thingie .... I think it's goats beard. But, then again, the lily of the valley is trying to get past it on the other side.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It vines under the ground and it is impossible. I have found roots 6 inches deep. I did kill some with roundup but can't do that right in thr middle of flowers Yikes wish I hadn't gone there.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! Mental note - "Do not buy this." ☺

Yes - do not! Mine is among all the good plants too so not many options.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

When the ground is wet good, I go out and pull,pull pull hoping they will get tired and go away but NO!!! Just think, one year when I was selling plants, I sold a ladie a whole flat she liked it so well. This was before I knew. Wonder what she thinks now.

Now that she's in the asylum...

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

My plan of attack:

Carefully remove valued plants and wash off every root, repot and watch for next year ......

(Also, build big poly "baggies" to encase and protect the foundation shrubs!!)

then .... chem to h-e double toothpicks the remaining nasty.

Looks like that's an annual bed for a while!!

I don't have that option. I have large, valuable shrubs in the area, including J. maples.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.