How many problems?

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

I just pulled this pumpkin plant, thinking it might harm other veggies & flowers. I don't have a clue yet, but it looks like it may be more than one thing going on. Thanks

Thumbnail by davis1676
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I answered this on your cross-post, but here is my answer again:
Those are squash bug eggs and squash bug nymphs. The nymphs are just in different instars - stages - of their life. They will grow up to be big bad squash bugs that can reproduce and make more, meanwhile sucking the life juice from your plants.

Yes, get rid of them. You can drop the leaf in some alcohol, or place it on the ground and stomp on them, or smush them with your fingers, whatever is comfortable to you. I would NOT put them in your neighbor's garden, unless you want them back when they grow up.

You are doing the best thing a gardener can do to keep pest populations down, and that is walking in the garden and looking. And then physically removing the potential problem.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for replying ceejay. I will spend tomorrow getting rid of them.

Litchfield, ME

I have been finding the same things here in my vegetable garden. I've been knocking the bugs down into a cup in my own concoction of vegetable oil and vinegar. Seems to kill them quickly. I also have what I think is called squash beetles and they are not so easy to get - they are fast!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.