Azalea being swallowed!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This dwarf azalea is being swallowed up by this groundcover. Now it's turning all yellow. Sould I move it?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The yellow color could be because it needs to be fertilized, or needs iron, or your soil pH is too high (or some combination of those). I could be wrong but I think it's more likely one of those things rather than the groundcover.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I've never had pachy overtake anything, I will agree on the chlorosis assessment - I always have a few that are pale.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The pachy is definitely taking over. Here it's overtaking a hosta. This is just to the right of the Azalea. I sent away a bunch of soil samples, but don't think I took one from this section. I did give it some Osmocote Acid food in May.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Even if it is growing vigorously, the azalea doesn't look like it's been covered up anywhere near to the point where it would cause problems. I'd check your soil pH, if you fertilized it in May and it's still looking like that then chances are your soil pH is too high.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ecrane. It was dark green until about 10 days ago. I wonder if all of the rain affected it. I'm starting to see some chlorosis on a couple of different plants in different soils.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Being too wet could do that too, I figured it had been that way for a while which was why I suspected a pH or fertilizer issue, but if the leaves just recently started going yellow then it could be too much water.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ecrane. Will it work itself out? About how long should I wait until looking to treat it? Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know that there's much you can do besides let things dry out, hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate with that!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Maybe when my gardens stop producing bumper crops of Mushrooms things will right themselves!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.