Deadly Alliance??

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

For the last 2 years, this tree has been losing it's bark.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The problem has been moving higher up in the tree.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the other side.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

And the next side.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I read that this could happen if a tree is suddenly exposed to a lot of light. There used to be a dense thicket all around this tree.

I started looking closely at this tree.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I was quite surprised at what I found.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Should there be work done here? What part might be saved?

Thumbnail by stormyla
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It's hard to tell what's what - is the Norway maple growing into a walnut? I wouldn't hesitate to remove the maple, even if it meant taking out the walnut tree.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

They seemed to have been fused at birth!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I found some strange marks on the trunks.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

And on the other

Thumbnail by stormyla

The first is from woodpeckers, probably yellow-bellied sapsucker.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Looks a lot more like an Ailanthus than a walnut - awfully smooth bark.

Die die die...

O geez, VV's right. The funny notched bump near the base of the leaves is visible in one of the pics. I just remember stormyla talking about walnut trees on another thread and thought this was it.

Die die die...

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gee Whiz Guys! I'm just happy that I can plant under it. I was so bummed when I saw those leaves!!!!! Who plants these things????

No one, that's why they're "invasive" species.

Just adding that I'm surprised anything will grow under your Norway maple.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2008 9:36 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Claypa, Quite a few things actually, but it's trial and error. There are 6 of them. Yesterday, I dug out 40 either black walnut or Alianthus seedlings.

The guy who writes the garden column for the Philly Inquirer talks about this tree a couple times a year. When asked what to put under a Norway maple, he says something like," Gravel. Or sculpture. Or sculpture on gravel." Then he goes on to suggest containers, or removing the tree.

I saw a study that suggested Norway maple was capable of allelopathy, but whether it is or not, it's probably the least garden-friendly tree I can think of, around here anyway.

Walnut seedlings are easy to ID when they're young, because they still have the walnut attached. I get those too; the squirrels plant them everywhere, even in containers.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

OK Claypa, I had to look up that word. Two examples cited were B. Walnut & Alianthus. It's amazing that anything grows here. OK, so I'm not thrilled anymore. I'll have to look further to see any information on the toxins from these maples. I keep removing limbs from the Maples to let in more light. Mother Nature also takes some down.

Whether it's allelopathic or not, there are other mechanisms at work preventing other things from growing. The way water drips off them compacts the soil, and the roots are relentless competitors for water and nutrients.
And it's listed by the state as an invasive species.

Whack 'em and stack 'em. Then you can shop for replacements!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Claypa, Not this year! I already have enough projects. I'd take down the blinking white mulberries first. There must be 30 trees here and I think only 5 varieties of them aren't problematic. But I would love a nice Oak.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.