Please direct me to........ miniature iris web sites

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am fairly new to iris's and at this point I'm really only interested in the miniature iris's.... Would someone have a web site that has a good selection of them, that you would be happy to share with me..... : ~ )

thanks

Janet

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

google miniature dwarf bearded iris. several vendors.

South Hamilton, MA

If you go to www.irises.org you should be able to get a site. There are miniatures at hermit medlars.com and also www.chapmaniris.com in Canada

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

irisma--Have you purchased from Chapman? Their name came up when I
googled miniature dwarf bearded iris. Looks like they have about everything.
I will be building some raised beds near the house and need to stay with
small plants. The dwarfs would be a good selection. Thanks.

South Hamilton, MA

Yes we have purchased from Chapman. His plants will be smaller than the big west coast rhizomes. He is very knowledgable.Winterberry gardens in VA has a large supply of both new & historic MDBs. No websight--however extensive catalog of many plants. It cost $5. E-mail is vspoon@aol.com. Postal address: Don & Ginny Spoon 1225 Reynolds RD Cross Junction VA 22625

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thank you all for the information. Ever time I was googling...(don't know if that is a word or not, tee hee) I would click on a link and I would go through so many never finding anything smaller than 24" and that is too tall.

I'll be checking them out.

Janet

ps I've just spend the last little bit taking a look at those links... and I'm so thrilled as they have them listed out and I don't have to click on each plant to then find out it isn't a miniature...

thank you, thank you, thank you....

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 6:45 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

meadowyck,
Do you want standard dwarf bearded(SDB)iris ( 8-16 inches) or miniature dwarf bearded (MDB) up to 8 inches)? This is iris jargon that really confused me at first. SDBs are a lot easier to find than MDB's but neither is rare. Both are Dwarf. Very confusing terminology at first.
Aitken's Salmon Creek Iris Garden has lots of both
https://www.flowerfantasy.net/shop/
as does
Mid-America Iris Gardens
http://www.mid-americagarden.com/

And there are many other nurseries that carry them. Hopefully you know that the season for ordering iris will end sometime in August for most nurseries, so you have some time, but not tons of time.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well I tried to post and that one went who knows where...LOL

Any way, pajaritomt, I'm mainly interested in ones 12" and under. I have a bog area that I'm trying to improve with plants and I don't want too tall of plants in it to block the view to the rest of the yard.

thanks so much for those links.

Yall have put me in heaven... I just don't understand why I couldn't find them when I googled...

Janet

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think it is a good idea to plant bearded iris in a bog! They don't like it too wet. Maybe you should look into Japanese Iris -- but they may be taller than you like. Or maybe you need to look into some other variety of flower. I just don't think SDBs or MDBs will do well in a bog.

Any experts want to verify what I say?

Lebanon, OR

Bearded iris will NOT well in bog area, as they HATE wet feed. Japanese, and Louisana can take it.

Height on both might be a problem...

The only short JI I have is Pixie Won

D

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks for the advice. Guess I will have to rethink this..

Janet

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Dee.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

There are a couple of siberians that are short, and can take quite a bit of water. They can't be in standing water over the winter, though. Baby Sister, and nana alba are two good ones at less than a foot tall. There are also some shorter Japanese iris that can take bog like conditions as long as they are not in standing water over the winter, but they are a little taller.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

love my iris! got most of them from www.schreinersgardens.com
they have lovely dwarfs and minis! never had a problem ordering.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ritapg, that is the largest selection of minis I've seen so far. Great site....

Janet

South Hamilton, MA

Note that Schreiners lists their standard dwarfs & miniature dwarfs in the same listing. I am a bit confused as to whether you are planting iris in boggy conditions which would be a bed of smaller beardless (siberians etc) or dry beds & looking over that bed into boggy conditions which would be smaller bearded irises.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Currently, I have irises planted at the edge of the bog area. I'm looking to mainly have the iries around the bog area and if some are too low and the water rises, which usually isn't for too many days in a row then so be it...

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow... It isn't a pretty sight... so don't think you will see something great...

Janet

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MDBs and SDBs are generally more tolerant of moisture than the TBs, but I don't believe that even the MDBs and SDBs could survive boggy or flooded conditions, even for a few days at a time. You'd be much better off with short beardless irises around your bog. I doubt if MDBs and SDBs would last long in that environment.

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.