phlox is still not blooming

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is the 3rd year for my garden phlox, orange perfection and tenor red. There is no powdery mildew, they are full and green but no flowers. What's the deal???

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, very odd. They should have bloomed by now or at least have buds on them. Do they get full sun? Have you fertilized with a high nitrogen product? That may make lots of nice green growth but no flowers. I have not grown this cultivar myself but do have other phlox that are either blooming or just now starting to open. They all have buds now, even p.'David' which is always the last to bloom here.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is very weird. They are in full sun and I haven't fertilized with diddly squat.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Well my only advice is to call a local nursery that you trust and ask them if they know of this occurring in your area. They know the local soil conditions and can probably recommend a fert. or some other remedy. Do you grow any other phlox that blooms okay? Seems funny two different kinds won't bloom, that makes it sound like the environment not the plants is the problem. Nothing has been eating the top shoots or anything like that? If you get a solution let us know, a mystery for sure. Maybe get a soil test kit too. I hope some one can get you an answer to this problem.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They are in 2 separate areas, I planted more since the previous owners had 1 orange perfection(smelled wonderful) ended up not coming back, which was so weird. I know I have acid soil and the previous owners didn't do anything to the amend the soil or the lawn.
I guess I'll ask at my local garden center, see what they say.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Strange, Jen. I assume they have adequate water since you say they are full and green. Never had that happen.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the only time mine didn't bloom is when the ground hog ate it down to almost nothing... and this year I think the bunnies are doing a number on them... nice and green at the bottom but they ate all the tops

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Anything new with your phlox Jen? I have about 4 that have yet to bloom as of yet.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well I'll glad I'm not the only one. Well, not exactly glad, you know what I mean!
I was thinking if they didn't bloom again this year I'll divide them in the fall. I don't know what else to do.

Wow - you ladies are making me feel guilty about posting mine. Hope they 'wake up'!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Maybe if I give them some coffee???

Can't hurt!

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

I was actually contemplating spraying mine with some bloom booster this evening. Wonder how well that would mix with coffee grounds lol.

Deer have been my culprits this year. Have any of you heard of this product for keeping deer out of the garden? Found info about it on the National Gardening Association sit.

http://www.deerfortress.com/about.php

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 2:21 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hadn't heard of that particular 1 but it says it's made of a combination of blood meal which sounds just like deer scram.
http://www.deerscram.com/
I ran out of it and I think that why the squirrels and rabbits are enjoying my plants a little too much. It was working when I used it.

Liquid Fence and Milorganite are working well for me.

A friend had deer attack his corn. He is using liquid fence. They have not been back.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just have to keep up on it.... all it takes is one week that you forget to spray... and whamo everything is gone... but it works well when I remember to spray

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Don't feel bad. Our garden phlox is about 50-50. 50% is blooming or has buds. The other 50% isn't doing much. And it doesn't have buds, either. The one that is blooming is not blooming very largely. It doesn't seem to be a very good year for the garden phlox - at least for us.

I bought phlox and it had flowers and then planted it a month ago and now it has no flowers.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well the one plant I had moved is just starting to bloom, but it's not the right color. It should be orange or red. UGH!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Jen:
That one looks a real lot like 'Natural Feelings'. My NF is just beginning to bloom, too.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm glad it is blooming for you finally, even if it is not what you thought you had. They always say it is better to buy small plants but then you have to trust that they are what they say they are. Looks like a nice color and very healthy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well here it is in full bloom, has a delicate fragrance.

Thumbnail by flowAjen

That's really pretty, Jen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.