Liatris!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I LOVE Liatris!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I just planted some for the first time this year. I planted liatris spicata kobold. The label said they grow to about 2 1/2'. Mine is almost 5' tall. Didn't expect them to get that tall! They should blossom any day.... can't wait! Yours look very pretty.

Thanks! They are fantastic plants! ENJOY yours!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

White and Purple together

Thumbnail by Debsroots
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Mine are also about 5 feet. This is their second year. I love the way they look mixed with coneflowers. I have white and purple ones.

Thumbnail by pennefeather

I really like the white and purple together. Very pretty. Love the way you planted them with the coneflower pennefeather. I like the way liatris bloom from the top down. As the top starts to die off do you cut that part off to keep them looking good or no? I've heard that you do and I've heard that you don't.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have never cut mine back, but they are hidden behind some other plants. I like the idea of letting the seeds ripen and then scattering them around the area a bit to increase.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I had some liatrus several years ago, but the patch dwindled and never came back. I have also scattered the seeds in that same area, and a few germinated the next year, but never grew passed the tiny seedling stage. Caitlin - when you scatter your liatrus seeds, do they actually in fact grow up to be blooming plants? Wonder what I was doing wrong?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I don't really know if they are sprouting - I just assumed so as the patch is spreading. It is in a spot that doesn't get much attention - just a spot weed pulling every now and then. Do they have bulbs that can be divided?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi guys. May I join the conversation? I like the idea of planting the white and purple Liatris together. Does anyone know if one color is more dominant?
I keep trying to get White Swan Echinacea to grow with the purple coneflower and the white dwindles and disappears.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

So far mine are about equal. They have only been in for two years though, so we'll wait and see.

Pretoria, South Africa

Just love Liatris, but I seem unable to get my seeds to germinate. I've tried three different trades' seeds, but no luck!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

The seeds that I planted or is self-sown from the plants generally germinated, but the plants do not come back the second year. I have had both the purple and the white ones, and the purple lasted a year or so longer than the white. The purchased plants grew really well the first two years, and I had to divide them the third year. But after that, none of the liatrus came back.

Bought bulbs and not a one of them grew. Meanwhile, my neighbour, who is a complete novice gardener, planted hers and has this huge, gorgeous patch of purple liatris.

So now I am sitting here with a packet of "white" liatris seeds. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

Your best bet is to get the bulbs or plants. I have no experience with the seeds.

All of mine are from plants from the local garden center. No experience with seeds or the bulbs.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The bulbs will bloom the first year. I'm not sure that seeds will - I think that they take two.

I'd guess you're right about that, pennefeather. But what do I actually DO with the seeds?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

You can plant them. They will bloom in the second year, and they develop into bulbs.
Here is some additional information.

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/flowers/liatris/liatris.htm

~ pennefeather: Thank you my friend! This is what I needed!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

They look lovely in your garden pennefeather. What is the pale pinkish flower behind and to the right?

Here's a photo of the Liatris just before opening, with stokesia and phlox.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I like liatris with coneflowers, too. I have it mixed in with Coconut Lime, Pink Double Delight, and Green Envy.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Experimenting a bit with cropping the image. Liatris look so cool close up!

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is another liatris close up. They are very cool!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 7:02 AM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Liatris next to my pink garden chair. Lot's of bee's ..must be careful sitting in my chair!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Sempervirens,

That's a patch of butterfly weed behind the liatris. Here's another picture of it.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I have some of this growing in our front bed..a very interesting plant with that tall spiky-blooms.

Thumbnail by artemiss
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

artemiss ..you posted your lovely picture on the correct forum. That is Liatris.. Great stuff!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.