Campanula Pink Octopus

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have one of these that is blooming, yet? All my other campanulas are blooming, except this one. I purchased this early in the spring, and the plant looks healthy, and has grown quite a bit since I planted it. Maybe I just need to be patient.

Deb

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

First time I have heard of one, sounds interesting. When yours blooms please post a picture, and Plantfiles needs a picture too. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/150883/

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, I will be sure to post a picture. I already listed it as growing here, since it has more than doubled in size so far.

Deb

I got mine this Spring too. It was in bloom when I got it and hasn't stopped. Maybe it's heat lover and needs a bit more time. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I'll try and get a photo later.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I purchased two this spring in a co-op (small plug ) they are both doing well but no sign of bloom yet.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I second the request for a photo - "Pink Octopus"? Gotta see that - the name is just too funny :0)!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Ok, I could not stand the suspense, so I googled it. Here is a picture.
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=41
But still waiting to hear from DG folks.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

That is the WEIRDEST looking campanula I have ever seen. And they describe it as having "Japanese lantern buds", I sure wish somebody would post a picture (hint hint).

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

A subscriber by the name of Kudrick posted a picture of one of these on the photos forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/859992/
It's a little over half way down the thread.... june 14th at 9:51 a.m.
Maybe Kudrick can tell you about these.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Still waiting for mine to decide to bloom. I bought it in a quart size pot this spring, and it has nearly doubled in size, but no signs of buds, yet.

Deb

Wish I could be of more help with the photo. Right after I posted that I had pink octopus, my dog tried to dig it up! It's rebounding but you can see the flower stalks are bent over and the leaves are upside down.lol

Thumbnail by

And a close up of a bloom

Thumbnail by
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

That's pretty cool. Sorry about your naughty dog, but it looks like the plant will be OK. Do the buds look like Japanese lanterns?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I got a couple of these from the co-op to finish up the tray. Had no idea what I was getting. A few weeks ago, I transplanted my plug into a 6" pot and it been making new offshoots like crazy but no blooms.

Here the information from TN
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/press_release/Campanula-Pink-Octopus.pdf

If I understanding it right, we may have to wait til the plants get a cold chill and next spring to get blooms.

Since they grow so fast, could be the plants that were store bought , didn't get enough of a cold chill.

I was worried when I got my plugs and had them in the shade cuz it so hot down here, but they started looking puny, so I moved themto full sun and even with the 100F temps and blazing sun they growing and loving it and surp[rised there no burnt foliage on them. Now if I could just keep a big fat ole toad out of making a bed in the pots and digging up the new shoots every night I would be happy.

Glad to see your bloom Cocoa and that it looks like the tag that came with the plant. Sure is an unusual bloom.

Lisabees, I suppose if I squint and really use my imagination.... I can see Japanese lanterns.LOL I don't think the blooms are all that noticeable because of the thin petals. I have mine in a bed of tall phlox and chinese foxgloves and maybe they would stand out more if they weren't around such gaudy performers.

Starlight, thanks for that info. It will be interesting to see if those in the South can fill the chill hours. If not, the foliage alone is a nice filler. I been surprised how well it's taking the heat too.

Btw, mine was purchased by a friend in a really large pot, she divided it and gave me half. It may be that I started with such a large plant that it bloomed sooner.hth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.