Can I plant canna's by water faucett?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

My son put a new water fawcett for me so I didn't have to drag hoses all over, but it's ended up in the middle of the yard.
I've got to plant stuff around it to hide it and it gets mostly sun. I thought cannas would look pretty , but if the fawcett leaked, etc. it would get wet and I don't know if they could deal with it. They would be in a little round bed close to the fawcett.

Figure if anyone knew you all would!! lol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The cannas would probably die of happiness. lol.

I would recommend trying water cannas there. Since the facet is right there it wouldn't be hard to keep them well watered.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2008 3:32 PM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Water Cannas, How do I know what they are? Can you tell, I love them, have gotten a whole lot this summer and know nothing. Somehow, by accident , they've survived.

I didn't know a thing about water cannas! lol

Here are some water cannas at Karcheskys. www.karcheskycanna.com/

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks. Oh no, now I have to have "water cannas"

The ones I already have are by the fawcett, and it's just them and the fawcett. They don't need anything else with them do they.?

Nope. :~)

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks I'm on my way now. Just gotta find those water cannas!!! ^_^

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I agree they might die of happiness :-))))) .. LOL
Especially when good heat and light like it is now.
More so though, they will probably go crazy sending new shoots all over.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Don't we know, Alice....don't we know!

"eyes"

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey eyes. Recovered from the RU? I love seeing those things multiplying. So cool. I just got reallly interested in them this year, now I'm addicted.!!!

When I went to EmmaGrace's last week, she was thinning hers and gave me a whole bunch. So, with the others I got at RU and stuff, I've got enough to show them off. Yea!!!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

My only concern would be that if you needed to do some plumbing work, it would be a bear to thin out the canna in order to get to the plumbing. I actually place them not too near water as a way to control growth.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I have them placed where we can get to the plumbing, but I know they are going to be everywhere next year.!!! I just needed something there to keep everyone from running into it, etc.

I'll have to stay on top of thinning them, you're right, I can just see someone trying to go through a maze of Canna's to get to it.!!! lol

I just love themf and they actually look pretty cool in their little round bed in the middle of the yard. I'm not very adventurous, so to put a flower bed in the middle of the yard was a real break out thing to do. lol

I'm glad there is a canna forum, maybe I can learn something!!!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Your cannas will be even happier if the faucet/hose connection leaks. They love water!!

Karen

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

lol guess I'll have to "make a leak"

While my son was here putting the faucett in, he also went under the house to see why the bathtub was draining slow. (There was a batman car in the drain, hmmmm, could it be grand kids?) Anyway, he fixed that and also found a big leak that happened when the bathtub and sinks drained.
I was wondering why the EE's and cannas were doing so good and that area didn't seem to need watering much. It was the leak, keeping them all nice and wet. Started to tell him to put my leak back!! lol

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

When my daughter lived in CA, the faucet/hose connection leaked whenever she turned it on to water. She planted cannas there just for that reason. With all that water, they grew HUGE.

There were cannas already here when we moved in. They were way out of the way and never got watered. I was amazed at how well they were actually doing. But we've dug most of them up now and moved them. Actually, we thought we moved them all --- ha, ha -- found out some got left behind.

Karen

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Those suckers have babies fast. I planted a couple someone gave me last week, and I swear there are already little ones coming up beside them.!!

They die down in winter like EE's right? I could have sworn my DIL had some stay green all winter, but I guess I was dreaming or looking at something else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.