good clematis nursery

Lilburn, GA

Hi,

Do any of you know of a good clematis nursery that sells the more unusual clematis that I can't get from Home Depot?

thank you.:o)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Absolutely, positively!

Check out Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery IMMEDIATELY! The last date to place an order is July 27th!!! They are going out of business and all their Clematis are 50% off their retail price. They will ship them in the Fall. http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/nursery_shop/nurserystore.htm

Garden Crossings http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm

Silver Star Vinery http://www.silverstarvinery.com/

Joy Creek Nursery http://www.joycreek.com/

Brushwood Nursery http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/clematis-c-21.html?osCsid=69824561c4d2ad48e9fa27a04ec1ea4b

Happy shopping!

Lilburn, GA

WOW Shirley,

Thank you very much for the links!

I will be very busy this weekend!

GRIN!!!!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Shirley, I just ordered 10 of them. I'm so glad Tie Dye wasn't sold out. I've wanted it for a while now.

Yeah, Zuzu. I'm glad you bought Clematis "Tie Dye". It's a beauty!

Delaware, OH

also checkout "song sparrow" on line for some varieties you may not see elsewhere. species or finely rooted
clems not available at silver star. brushwood one of the best places for those. silver star the best for anything they have.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

niobe how about alink for song sparrow!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.songsparrow.com/

I think this might be what your looking for.

Janet

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you!!

Delaware, OH

a note on the song sparrow plants. i found the plants not the most impressive, but the root and growth has surpassed many plants i have purchased on all the varieties ordered. as example margaret hunt is a not common variety and it has surpassed my expectations in second full year. i do recommend them when they have the variety you are looking for......

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

Margaret Hunt is a beauty & a hard to find Clematis too!

Delaware, OH

yes i agree. do you have it? it is far prettier than i thought and blooms long. i love it. one of my favorites, but out of 200 ish, i have about 150 favorites. really should just list the ones that are not favorites , that would be more sensible.
i look forward to next year with this one for sure....it will be third year.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Niobe you should start a thread with pictures of your place. It has to be gorgeous!!

Nope, I don't have Margaret Hunt. That's why we enjoy each others pictures so much. We can ooohhh & aaawww over familiar, as well as, unfamiliar varieties.

I think it would be good to start a thread on the unfamiliar ones so that people will begin to recognize & hopefully plant some of them in their gardens. I'll take a picture of Clematis, "Fascination" that is in bloom right now. I believe it is an unfamiliar one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Shirley, would love to see your picture of Fascination. I got mine last year from Debbie and haven't seen it bloom yet. It's starting to get some buds on it.

I vote for Brushwood Nursery as they have a wonderful selection of clematis with very reasonable prices and shipping. Plus you get $5 off for every three you buy. I added one to my newest order called Jolly Good that I believe is new....haven't seen it anywhere else. They've also added some other new ones recently....check it out:

http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/index.php

Delaware, OH

i do not have fascination..sounds fascinating!
i just glimpsed at brushwood and they do have some i have not seen on there before. jolly good looks good and i saw a few others. right now i have to plan to put about 25 or more that i ordered for the fall.
and yes i agree, we should share photos of the more unusual.....also maybe for our respective zones and areas a "best of"list for newer clematis people who want the tried and true for the area.
some of them are so troublesome and when someonestarts with themthey may get discouraged.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Brushwood has Queen Of Holland. I'm thinking of ordering it. Does anyone grow this one? I didn't order it as I thought it might be very similar to my Petit Faucon. Trying not to get look-alikes.

Sorry, I got home after dark last night & didn't have a chance to take an updated picture of "Fascination". I will try tonight after work. It's got a full flush of color!

I ordered both "Jolly Good" and "Queen of Holland" from Brushwood Nursery this Spring. This is the 1st year that they have been offered. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any buds or blooms on them yet. I have both of them growing on my deck (where I can keep a watchful eye on them) in 1 gallon containers. In my growing zone, I will plant them out in early Fall, when our moisture is more abundant & predictable.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Shirley, couldn't resist Queen Of Holland....went ahead and ordered her. Looks like she is more of a purple blend than Petit Faucon. Can you please show us a picture of yours when you get a chance?

I posted pictures of "Fascination" on this link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/870648/

Here's a picture of "Petit Faucon".

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Shirley, I saw your photo of Fascination...absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing it and yes, I think there is quite a difference between Queen of Holland and PF. We will have to post pictures when ours bloom. I'm glad I ordered it.

I'd also love to have their new one called Gabrielle..so dainty looking. Did you see it?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is a listing of the ones I ordered from Chalk Hill... Boy the shipping was more than the plants, but then when I figured the original cost of the plants it more than made up for trying these.

Minuet
Peveril Pearl
Veronica's Choice
Mrs. T. Lundell
Little Nell
montana var. rubens 'Tetrarose'

Does anyone already have these and if so how do you like them.

I'm especially in love the looks of Minuet but the web site will only allow 1 of each item...

Janet

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, rosethyme. Yes, we'll definitely have to compare "Queen of Holland" & "Petit Faucon" when they are both in bloom. I haven't seen "Gabrielle" or maybe I just don't remember seeing her. I'll take another look.

meadowyck: Nice group of Clematis that you ordered from Chalk Hill. We look forward to your pictures.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

shirley, I'll for sure be posting pictures next year or do yall think they would bloom this year.... Our cold weather starts showing up in October and for the last 5 years that we have lived here we get our first snow on Thanksgiving day...

Does anyone currently have Minuet??? If so would you please post a picture. I'm so in love with this one...

Janet

Delaware, OH

i have a minuet in first season, planted 8 weeks ago with a lot of blooms. i had been away for a few days and was surprised by the flush of blooms that i found this morning on an early garden inspection.
will take a photo today before i do her baby pruning (want her to establish roots vs bloom right) and post. the flowers are smaller than i thought they would be,but they are very pretty. i am sure the flowers will be a bit bigger in future as the plant establishes.

It's hard to say if it will bloom the first year. Have you fertilized it with either Rose or Tomato food, mulched and kept it well watered? Don't forget that most of the action is taking place below the ground surface. The root system is expanding and the vines are growing to support all those blooms. Remember the old saying, "The first year they sleep, the second year the creep and the third year they leap".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.