Tomato technique

Mountain Home, AR

I just read an article about growing tomatoes and increasing yield by removing all the leaves except top 3. Leaving only stems with flowers on them , allowing all the energy to go into the fruit production and not the leaves. Anyone done this? Is that the same as removing suckers? Nanadee

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I would think the fruits would get quite sunburned, removing all but three leaves. I prune mine as an espalier on a small trellis, but don't remove that many leaves. The fruit still needs some shading, especially in my location.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

After mine get over 2 ft I remove the first one foot of leaves.
I also stake them as they grow.

Livingston, MT(Zone 3b)

There are MANY schools of thought about this. Check out the tomato forum to get your first glimpse and LOTS of good info. I grow tomatoes in a greenhouse and only prune suckers. It is hard to keep up with and my greenhouse looks like a jungle by the end of the year. There are people who believe in "radical" pruning (like what you have suggested) and people who think it is plant abuse. I think it is a very personal decision. I know one of the biggest factors involved is space. I prune suckers because of space and pictures that i have seen of radical pruning have the plants spaced very close. I think a lot of people who don't prune, grow outdoors and don't have space as a limiting factor. I believe it is important to have enough foilage for photosynthesis for fruit and flower production and also as mentioned above to help prevent sunscald. Even though I prune, my plants are spaced close enough that there is plenty of coverage and foliage. Some believe that if you prune it will produce larger fruit, but many not as much quantity. I would love to do a side by side comparison....

Mountain Home, AR

I hate to sound like the newbee that I am but, exactly what are the suckers? This method that I read about was written by a greenhouse tomato growers grandson. He says to plant 2ft. apart and have a pole placed horizontally at the top of the greenhouse with clean lengths of vertical rope every 2 ft. that are weighted at the bottom into the soil. The tomatoes should be guided to grow up the rope as high as they want to go. I thought it was interesting, supposedly the lack of leaves cuts down on mold and pests and encourages ventillation. Thanks everyone for letting me pick your brain. Nanadee

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

'exactly what are the suckers'

The sucker is a small shoot that grows out from the main stem and the side branch of leaves.
Some growers pinch it off when it first starts growing. I do.

'supposedly the lack of leaves cuts down on mold and pests and encourages ventillation'

That's the reason for pruning...a tomato plant puts on a lot of leaves, maybe more than it needs.
Outside they help prevent scalding of the fruit. but they still put out more leaves than needed.
IMHO ^_^

Mountain Home, AR

Thanks Rentman, now I know what suckers are. Someone told me they were male flowers. After pruning radically, I have gotten many more flowers but many have just dried up. It sure is a learn as you go process. I'm having fun. Thanks again. Nanadee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.