Beds in GH

Mountain Home, AR

We finally got the GH up but don't have anything in it because of the heat. I am getting ready to put some beds in to grow tomatoes this winter. I would like them up high so I dont have to kneel and bend. Any suggestions for materials.?I thought about buying grow beds but they have no bottoms. Anyone know how wood holds up ? Trying not to spend a fortune. Nanadee

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't think I'd want bottoms on the beds. I'd think you'd want the drainage that an open bottom on the bed, provides. Wood works fine, but I'd go with cedar, rather than pressure-treated, since you're planning on using it as a food crop. Lining the inside of the wood with plastic will increase its life. Just make sure you don't use the plastic across the bottom of the bed. ;)

Mountain Home, AR

So Eggs Z, If I built a table to put the beds up on, there would be a surface under the bed and I would just have to put drainage holes in it correct? They have tables with a grid top but tey're pretty pricey. Thanks for your input. Nanadee

Fulton, MO

I use pressure treated wood, but it is all lined with 2 layers of 6 mil plastic. No bottom, except for landscape fabric.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Yup nanadee, you'd definately need some drainage holes. What kind of soil were you planning on using in the beds?

Mountain Home, AR

EggZ- Still thinking about that and reading up. What do you suggest? Nanadee

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

If I were able to do beds in my GH, I'd put in a good "garden mix", same as I put in my raised beds for my veggies. That mixture is:
50% river bottom topsoil, screened 3/8"
25% compost, screened 1/2"
25% composted manure, screened 1/2"

I think I paid about $26/yd for that mix. Maybe a bit eggspensive, but I think it's worth it. Keep in mind, that using something like this on top of a bench, may prove to be too heavy for benches (depending on how deep you make the beds). Perhaps something as simple as 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 sand may be a better choice. That's what I use for my succulent mix. It drains well, and it's much lighter than a mix made for ground application.How tall were you planning on making the beds, and what materials were you thinking about using to construct them?

Mountain Home, AR

Eggs, I woul'd like them to be high enough to eliminate bending and kneeling, maybe 24 - 36 in. off the ground. Probably would just use pine , which I know doesn't last like cedar but can't afford cedar. I'd like to make them 12 in deep.
When you buy that mix, where do you get it? I got what they call "super dirt" for my garden beds and it is riverbottom with some compost added but it was very chunky with wood bits etc. I figurd I would have to make my own with plain old topsoil and compost etc. My DH says he made beds for a GH he had once and lined the beds bottom and all with plastic and had a drainage hole in the corner which ran into a bucket and could be reused. I would think the plastic might encourage mold . What do you think? Nanadee

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I get the mix at a place called St Louis Composting, and it runs about $26/yd. I'm sure there's a similar place near you. If you're interested in a similar mix, you may want to get in touch with a horticulturist at a local country club or the like. I'm sure they'd know. Making your own is always a good idea. I just go through too many yards each year to do that. Plastic works fine to protect the wood, as stressbaby says. I've seen his operation, and WOW. =) I'd think you'd need a bit more than a "hole in the corner" to provide drainage, but I have simple benches in mine. My raised beds are outside in the veggie garden, so no drainage is needed.

HTH,
Eggs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.