What happened to the color?

Centre, AL(Zone 7b)

I have several mophead hydrangeas, some pink, some blue. They are at least 4 years old. They bloomed in beautiful color, as usual, for several weeks and suddenly all have lost their color and turned pale green. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Probably just natural aging of the blooms, they will fade over time. If it's been really hot maybe that speeded up the process. Do the plants look healthy otherwise? Being under stress from watering issues, insects, etc might also make the aging process speed up.

Centre, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the quick response, and yes, otherwise they are healthy. It has been really hot and dry here. In the low 90's and no rain for weeks.

Hallieford, VA

My hys have lost their color (actually bloomed without color), compared to last year when we landcaped (new house, new ground, new everything), so this is their second year. If pink, blue, lavender, this year they're a dusty, pinky-brown color, otherwise healthy looking, altho the blooms were a long time coming. And my Limelight blooms are way smaller this year; my French lacecaps are a mauve, and small. We have irrigation on them too. Should I have fertilized? Wanted to leave them alone for one season, to let them "get settled." What to do?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.