OT - Daylilies & Other Outside Beauties

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Here we are showing off our outside beauties. Doesn't have to be Daylilies........just any beauties you grow outside.

All my daylilies USED to have names, now they are all NOIDS. I LOVE NOIDS outside since I can't seem to keep stakes in the ground nor do I like the looks of the stakes. So although I don't have names for them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is a pretty Japanese Iris blooming this morning

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This is my very first Red Hot Poker (mine is yellow/orange). It's not supposed to be hardy here but I mulched it real good and even though we had over 4 feet of snow.......here she is :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Lots of firsts this year (gotta love it).....this is the first year this rose blooms. It's called 7 Sisters Rose. Reminds me of today's topic and all the lovely sisters here on Dave's :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Last year on the back roads, someone had dug up all their lilies (probably because of the red lily beetle) and put them in pots which I think must have fallen off the back of their truck as these were in the ditch. I asked hubby to pull over so I could get them. I brought them home, removed all the bug infested leaves, cut the stalks and have been waiting for them to bloom. This is the first "surprise" to bloom. I think she's quite cute :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Closeup of her face:

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This is called Jasione, it's an alpine and I was shocked it came back. I grew it from seed and this is it's second year so I'm quite fond of this cutie :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Brenda, these are the miniature (dwarf) balloon plants I was telling you about. Right before they open, they look like hot air balloons and then they burst into these star flowers. These flowers are HUGE for such a dwarf plant. I have a whole collection of different ones and different colors. These are the first ones to open today.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This was taken a couple days ago but I never posted a picture. These are Cherry Bells or Campanula Punctata. These bells are HUGE!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

These are also Campanula Punctata but this is Elizabeth. Her bells are not as big and she's not cherry pink but more of a dusty pink with white mottling.

Well, I think that's it for today........there will be much more to follow though as we are starting to head toward daylily season and there are scapes everywhere *lol*

Kim

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Kim..you have ALOT od Beauties Blooming..Oh ..LOL..I need to chuckle at your 1st bloom..your noid looks like my Pandora's Box..could that be its name?..I know its hard when you lose the tags..I lose soo many from the squirrels..lol..their little squirrel houses must be decorated pretty nice with all my tags they have snatched....

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Strawberry Candy..Yum!!

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Indy Siren..vroom..vroom..lol..I couldn't resist...

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Lost tag to squirrels....

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

another Noid due to squirrel theft...

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Finally for now..lol..Big Bird..Love that Name : )

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I wanted to tell you that Japanese Iris is Beautiful!! All your pics are..and that Sister Rose is awesome : )

(Zone 1)

Wow! Look at all of the Blooming Beauties! Such pretty Lily's, so many different ones! Kim, I love Platycodon/Balloonflower! I don't know why I don't grow them, I know some do well down here! I found them in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=platycodon&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
And, check out these, page after page of beautiful balloon flowers: http://images.google.com/images?ndsp=18&um=1&hl=en&q=images+of+balloon+flower&start=0&sa=N

Yes, how appropiate - the 7 Sisters Rose, after all of our discussions today and Bren's lovely posting!

Oh my, I keep looking at all those lily's and can't pick a favorite. Two I really like are the one that fell off the truck and Big Bird!

I took some pic's day before yesterday of stuff in the yard, let me go see if I can find them!

(Zone 1)

A pretty Yellow Elder I got in trade from Gail last year:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

An ivy leaf geranium

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Just a quick comment then I'm off to do a few night shots to share with you all in the morning.

Nancy, BEAUTIFUL daylilies you have! Keep the pictures coming. No, my NOID is definitely not Pandora's box because that one I do recognize and it is in a different bed. The one that is blooming is in a bed I moved my EV/SEV because it gets full sun. It is the first year that any of these will bloom. I think I have it narrowed down to possibly 2 but I left the names at work :(

I will have all kinds of new shots to share in the morning but I have to get out there and take some night shots before my mother skunk comes out to hunt *lol*

XO
Kim

(Zone 1)

Oh Kim ... try to get a pic of Mama Skunk for us! LOL ... even better if she has her babies trailing behind her!

Years ago I used to feed feral cats and I would get up and look out the window at them during the night with their kittens. One night about 3:00 a.m. I peeked out and there was a very large Mama Possum and 5 little babies eating the cat food! We get Raccoons around here too. Cat food attracts all kinds of critters! I don't feed strays anymore. Just the 4 cats who allow us to live in this house with them! LOL.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Hope you beat mama skunk Kim...lol..they are so cute but very smelly little buggers..I was sprayed once as a child...that didn't do too much to win any popularity contest in school for about a month..lol..some days I swear even as an adult I can still smell it...
Oh Lin..I Love that Yellow Elder!! That is a Great photo..and your geranium with blooms galore..I am loving this!!

edited to add: Lin I think we posted at the same time..ooo I just Love opossums..I know alot of people think they are ugly but I think they are cute..we have a mama that comes every night with her babies..love them..

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 8:43 PM

(Zone 1)

Eeew ... I wouldn't want to get skunk sprayed! I have heard it's pretty nasty and hard to get rid of. I have heard that you have to bathe in tomato juice many many times to even lessen the odor. When my family first moved to Florida in1967 on summer nights when we had the windows open and the skunks were around the yard, the odor was really bad! We'd run around closing all the windows as quick as we could! I can't imagine ever being sprayed by one! Ugh!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

lol..it wasn't a direct hit Lin..I was standing offside... still got a good misting..yep..tomato juice bath and even tomato juiced my hair..lol..mom threw my clothes away..no way she was putting those in the ol' washer..lol....

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Lin, what a pretty elder that is :)
WOW ladies, wait until you see the pictures I took tonight.
I will have to upload them in the morning though because like Lin, I take 10 of the same shot and then pick the best one *lol*
Going to have another new daylily tomorrow Nancy :)
Didn't see the skunk tonight.......phew but she walked right by the window this morning around 5:00. With the window and fan going, woke me up that's for sure *lol*
Lin, I have a whole collection of different Platycodon and always have extra seeds from all of them. If you have the room, they are quite easy to grow from seed if you are interested :)

Oh I can't wait to show the night shots tomorrow. Night shots are my favorites! Things just look so much better in night shots! I swear my neighbors think I'm a nut!

Luvs for tonight.....heading to bed......11 days without a cigarette, days are long enough *lol*

XO
Kim

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

How did I miss this whole thread! I get used to seeing what is showing in HOME and forget to see if there are any new threads. These are magnificent colors and shapes of all kinds of garden flowers. Zone envy is setting in on those day lilies and that iris.

Now I could have roses but they get every disease there is in our hot weather in our four seasons of the year (LOL)

Can't believe Lin has nursed that tiny plant I sent and I have seen posts where her baby Esperanza (that is what we call it) grow into a bush and a big bush at that.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

We were typing at the same time, Kim............will get up first thing in the morning and watch this show continue. How much fun this is!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Can't wait to see your pics tomorrow Kim..We will be here bright and early waiting...Gail hope you have pics to post too....

(Zone 1)

Kim, the next time you get seeds from your Balloon Flowers I would love to try some! I remember years ago a lady I worked with had them in her yard but I've never grown them, I don't know why ... they are really pretty!

Gail, I love the Yellow Esperanza! You sent me an orange flowered one at the same time but it didn't live. The yellow color of this one is just so intense yellow, it is one of my all time favorite plants!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You know that in our climates they turn into beautiful trees. I will take some pictures when I am out and about and show you those at my aunt's house down the road a bit.

The orange ones never seem to turn into trees like the yellow ones do.
Maybe I ought to send you several of the yellow ones and get them started out in the middle of your yard. You will be shocked when I show you the pictures from here and our winters are colder than yours.

I fogot it quit raining a couple of days ago.......hope my outside plants are alive, Nancy!

(Zone 1)

Oh Gail, I can't wait to see the pictures of the Yellow Esperanza at your Aunt's house. I bet that is one beautiful sight! I would love to line the front of our property with them.

There's an elderly lady who lives directly across the road from us. She has lived in this little shack of a house since 1948, the year I was born. Her house is literally falling apart. One of her sons built a house on stilts on the other side of her but I don't know if anyone lives in it. Another son moved in with her and from what I hear works odd jobs and (sometimes) mows his mothers lawn. There used to be a @ 4' tall wood fence around her yard but it crumbled years ago and there's still a little part of it hanging by threads. Her son has his boat on a trailer parked in his mothers backyard as well as old dilapidated jet ski's, toys from when his kids were young, and a few weeks ago he dumped a pile of broken up cement out there ... and you would not believe the junk! Their are two old shed's and one disintegrated a couple of years ago and there was the open space with the wood rotted and lying and hanging around. We've hoped for years that they would clean up the place. It has gotten a little better, but if you could see it you'd laugh at that remark!

This past spring her son put siding on the front and sides of the house but never finished it. He put in a planter bed in the front, but it has no flowers or plants, just that red dyed mulch! He is always piling stuff out in the yard with for sale signs ... a few months ago he had a jet ski out there with a really low, low price on it. My husband went over and took a look at it ... no engine! LOL. Can't do much with a jet ski that has no engine and hubby said the shape it was in, you could buy a nice used jet ski (with engine intact) for what he was asking for a piece of junk with no motor! Last week I saw him with his trailer hooked up to his truck in the back yard and he was throwing all kinds of junk into it - I'm hoping he continues the clean up but it will still take him a long time to get all the junk out of that yard. There's something to be said for nice community neighborhoods that have homeowner's associations! We live in a little section of the county that is unincorporated so code enforcement doesn't do a lot.

I have wanted for a long time to plant something pretty along the front of our property so as not to have to look out the window at the mess over there. LOL I thought about knock out roses but they don't get tall enough!

Ok, I'm done rambling! Can y'all tell I'm a talker! Just tell me to shut up when I get going like this!

I'm saying g'nite for now! Sleep tight everyone!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Having technical problems this morning. Tried using the kids computer to post my pictures. Long story short, I'm glad hubby woke up early so that I could use my computer in the bedroom *lol*

Before I post the night shots I did last night I took a few more yesterday afternoon that I wanted to share first.

Here is a shot of the "Pine Tree Bed" and hopefully you can see the daylily scapes that are out there still to open. It's hard to get a clear shot as you have to stand back far enough to get the whole bed in the picture.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is a shot of the back bed (this bed is bigger so I had to stand even further back) There are daylilies to the left and most of the perennial shots come from the right. I really need to work more outside but not this year as I have too many houseplants (gessies) that need me *lol*

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Gail, this one is for you........blueberries to go with your morning coffee/tea *lol* We have about an acre of these. Plan to pick Sunday :) They make the best pancakes and muffins during the winter :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This Japanese Iris opened while I was at work today

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I love Rose Campion as the foliage is a nice seafoam green color almost blue and fuzzy and the hot pink flowers really are eye catchers

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I have it in a nice cool white too which starts out blushed with pink but the pink fades to all white. Looks real nice next to the red bee balm.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Speaking of the red bee balm here is it.
I love this plant as it attracts hummingbirds. I never saw hummingbirds in the yard until I planted it. I'm not usually a red kinda girl but I really do like the way this looks like red fireworks.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is a pretty sedum which looks nice in front of the red bee balm. This bed is next to the road at the end of the driveway. I just made this new bed last year and already the plants in it are bigger than the ones out back. The difference? I put horse manure in this bed when I prepared the soil which I didn't do in the back bed because I didn't know a thing about gardening nor did I know my neighbor well enough to ask for some horse manure *lol*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.