Please share best methods for growing Adenium Obesum seeds

Montreal, Canada

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and in growing Adeniums. Please post your best methods for sowing adenium seeds. I just won two sets of seeds from ebay and would appreciate having some advice from the experts.

I will be growing the following varieties: 'Ultraviolet' and 'Lion Son'. If possible, please share your experience growing these from seed.

Thanks,
Charmaine

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 11:27 AM

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Charmaine,

Here's a good link on the basics.

http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/seeds.htm

Adenium don't always bloom true from seed, so there's no way to address the needs of a specific cultivar.

You may have a lot of very different plants pop up from what you ordered, but that's part of the fun.

Chris

Montreal, Canada

Thank you, Chris - very informative. I cannot wait to get started.

Charmaine

Montreal, Canada

The seller suggested I use sand, rice hulls and cotton waste. Are there any substitutes for these materials? Could I used the regular commercial growing mix? Also, could I substitue rice hulls with perlite or vermilite and cotton waste with peat moss?

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I sowed about 50 2 years ago and only 8 sprouted
I threw the rest into the compost heap and 2 weeks later every single one was coming up lol!!

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

I use Perlite and Vermiculite myself - using peat moss is always a moral issue. I don't use it anymore. Cocopeat is perhaps a better alternative?

Best regards,

Martin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.