Big Wysteria not blooming

Clovis, CA

New house - new wysteria - large - 30 foot spread - actively vining - not blooming - any advice?

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Have no idea about the kind of wisterea you have, or the normal blooming time, but our natives here in South Georgia bloom before they leaf out - generally in March or April. Samantha

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you just moved in I suspect you missed the bloom, here they were done blooming ages ago. If it doesn't bloom next year though let us know since there are a number of possible factors that can contribute (too little sun, too much water, too much fertilizer, pruning too late in the year)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ecrane,

I planted 2 evergreen wysterias back in ....March?....and they have not bloomed yet. The foliage is beautiful. Are the evergreen ones the same of the ones you were referencing above?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, the evergreen ones are in a different genus...Millettia reticulata. Plant Files says they bloom in late summer/early fall, but frequently things won't bloom their first year in the ground so I wouldn't worry too much if yours doesn't bloom this year. I have one too that I just planted this spring so we can compare notes! The one I was talking about above was the regular wisterias, around here they bloom fairly early in the year so if izone_dave moved into a new house in the last couple months the blooms would have been long gone.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah...I see. I do so hope I see blooms in late spring or the fall!!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

izone_dave,

Not sure what type of wisteria you have.
Some types require 7 years before a bloom appears. Mine bloom 3 times a year---blooming again right now.
Dug it out from a wild off-shoot of the root from the plant about 9 years ago----got lucky! It bloomed within 3 years.
Gave a neighbor a cutting from the same, & it finally bloomed last year. 8 years later.
Mine is the "Chinese" wisteria & it is doing great!!!
Have seen lots of other types of wisteria but they are not not offered here in the south as they are considered an invasive plant & most people don't want them.
The "Chinese Wisteria" grow wild in the woods here & a lot of people think of them as a nuisance plant--to me they are beautiful & remind me of the "The Old South!"
They are one of the most beautiful; fragrant vines that you will ever find!
The only draw-back that I have found of them is---they will pull down a building!!!!
NOT KIDDING!!!!!
This is the strongest vine I have ever seen in the world of plants!!!!! (My World!)
As much as I like it, have to keep a real close check on it or it will take over, but the fragrance of the wisteria is comparable to none!!!! Walk out the door & smell one blooming!!!!
Man or woman--you can't tell me that it isn't the most intriguing smell you have ever encountered!!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The ones that take forever to bloom are ones that grew from seed. Assuming this one was originally purchased from a nursery it was very likely grown from cuttings and those don't take nearly as long. Given that he posted on July 9th saying it was a new house and the Chinese & Japanese wisterias (which are the most common ones) around here are usually done blooming around March, I suspect he just missed seeing the blooms.

I also wonder if yours is actually one of the American wisterias--both the Chinese and Japanese are considered invasive but the American is not. The American also blooms on new wood so it tends to repeat bloom throughout the year while the Chinese and Japanese both bloom on old wood and therefore tend to just bloom in the early spring.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Not familiar with what grows in California. Although you,are in pretty much the same growing zone as we are, we have a little different out-take on the wisteria down here!
It is known to choke out entire woods here, & because of their bad reputation a lot of people won't grow it.
Mine does not tend to bloom on new wood. Cut it back every year to keep it in check but getting harder & harder every year!
Have never seen a wisteria bloom as much as this one does!
This one also tends to get into EVERYTHING!!!!! Real hard to control!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well then it does sound like the Chinese one, I misread your original post and thought you bought your plant which wouldn't have been possible if they aren't allowed to sell the invasive ones, but I reread just now and saw that you got it from a wild plant.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine is the evergreen type. Is that Chinese, Japanese, or American??? I'm confused. :-)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The evergreen type isn't a wisteria at all, it's in a different genus, Millettia reticulata. The plant that started this thread and the ones that everyone else has been talking about (except for my one post answering your last question about the evergreen ones) are the various types of wisteria that are in the genus Wisteria. W. floribunda is Japanese wisteria, W. sinensis is Chinese, and W. frutescens is American. If you've got more questions on yours, the best thing to do might be to start a new thread for it, that way there won't be any confusion on who's talking about what plant.

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

It has been my experience here in Northern Oregon, that rooted cuttins or seeds of W.sinensis take up to 15 years to bloom. That is why there are so few varieties available.

W. floribunda, the Japanese variety, on the other hand, not only twines the opposite direction, it blooms in a short time by comparison, from seed and rooted cuttings.

If you have pruned grapes, then you know how important it is not to prune back past the eyes containing next years flower buds. In grapes, generally this means, the first 4 eyes at the base of the current years growth. I don't know how many leaf axils at the base of the current year's growth that would be for Wisteria. They should be easy to tell though since they are so much bigger. As the buds develope, they look like little pine cones long before bloom time. Good luck.
Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.