What should I do with my old tomatoe plant?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Should I toss the tomatoe plants or throw into the compost pile? I've heard there not good to add.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

We put tomato plants in the compost pile with no problems.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2008 4:18 PM

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

In my experience, putting tomato plants into one's compost pile would be OK IF the pile consistently heats up enough (above 130 degrees F) to kill all the seeds . . . which mine never does for long enough, and that is why I have been spending many hours on my hands and knees pulling 100s if not 1000s of tomato seedlings out of all the beds where I sprinkled my black gold earlier this year. I'm not going to put anything resembling a tomato into my compost after this season.

There has also been a thread anchored by Dr. Carolyn, the tomato-guru, about the fact that compost piles may not kill the fungal diseases that can afflict tomatoes and other veggies.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/749276/

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Fifty years gardening...........49 years tomato vines went into my compost that rarely heated to the suggested 130 degrees....maybe never. The other year is this year's crops not adversly affected by the use of my compost. All spore of all fungi per any given geographical area are already in all of that area's soils and composts.

A ballanced good healthy soil will hold all matters and things in ballance yielding no problems of concern.

Please understand that an area with common deposit sites and compost grinding or mixing machinery accept all of the plant waste and all of it is used. That compost then is brought back to many yards and gardens. Do they do anything special? Absolutely not in fact management may be a little less than excellent. Given the proper time it all rots.

Thanks you all!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Simple. If you don't want seeds in your compost, don't toss in the fruit!!!!! Hello?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

If your compost gets hot, it kills off the seeds, not a big deal. I just cut them up first to help them break down faster. I either turn the plants under or pull them up and shred for the bins. Just depends on how busy I am.

Well there in the pile now. My compost gets pretty hot so. I have seen a volunteer growing , but it's not a biggy.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

In Seattle tomato seeds survive thru the Sewage Treatment Plant and come up in the Sludge sold for mulch/fertilizer.!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.