Hollyhocks in bloom!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

Are anyone else's HH in bloom? I have the old fashioned single kind in multiple colors....

Thumbnail by midwest_tyro

A color for everyone! Dark ones....

Light ones....

Don't know what to call this shade of pink....

This is just plain pink I guess....

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Stunning! How tall are they - I've always been afraid to grow them b/c they're supposed to be gigantic - my gladiolas won't even stand up straight - can't want such a gorgeous flower that would only fall over into the dirt here. Samantha

The tallest are about 8 feet and still growing a little. When I only had a few I had to stake them but now that I have a big bed they seem to hold each other up....a good reason to have lots of them!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I always wanted a big bed like that, midwest, only i didn't realize it until just this minute! I have some Peaches and Dreams, is that what they're called?

Yes, Peaches and Dreams sounds right. Are they blooming? Do you have pics?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have one puny half a bloom, nothing I could take a picture of. They probably don't get enough sun. I find i like the look of the old-fashioned single blooms much better anyway!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful! I planted some this year. Will have to wait. Don't even know what kind I planted. It will be a pleasant surprise.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous Hollyhock blooms!

I've grown mine from seed (winter sown) the burgundy colored Hollyhocks like you have shown in your 2nd picture. My Hollyhocks have lots of buds, but very few flowers that have actually opened. Do yours open at various times? Will they have more blooms next year? What fertilizer do you use to get such abundant blooms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :~)

Shirley - the HH flower stalks start opening the flowers at the bottom then work their way up, so if you have lots of buds you will have lots of flowers! Did you just start the seeds this last winter or are your plants a year old now?

Since HH are biennals they will only flower a little or not at all the first year then have a big show the next year, then the plant dies. I don't do anything for this bed, but it used to be where the compost pile was so I would guess the soil is pretty good. The only thing I do with them is cut down the flower stalks after the plant dies so they can reseed themselves.

Do you have a picture of yours?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have HH over 8 ft tall too. I have a double (I assume since it looks like a carnation) that is cherry colored. Stunning. I have the pink and the black too. Bees love the black more than any for some reason.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Those pink ones are gorgeous! Hot pink!

Karen

Effingham, IL(Zone 5b)

Very beautiful blooms. Hollyhocks are one of my favorites. They offer great colors at incredible heights. I miss growing them.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I grow a lot of HH and let them go to seed so they are all over. My tallest ones this year were about 8ft. They all blew over in the wind so will have to cut some off before time. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, Bev, great shot!!!

Edelstein, IL

Here is a picture of a one of my H.H. beds. We have had he property for 40 plus years and they were here way back then. The birds and I move them around. Never know where they will come up. There used to be red, white andpink ones but in this bed they are all different shades of pink now. I love them. DH tries to get rid of them!! They do crowd out other things so I do thin them out here and there. If I want more some where I just take a dried stem with the dried blooms and lay it where ever.

I heard a interesting tidbit the other day. I am old enough to remember the "out houses" so can relate to it but had never heard this before. There were always H.H. by the out houses so female guests at a home would not have to embarrass them selves by having to ask where the out house was. The H.H. are always tall and bright so they would show the way.
Lyn

Thumbnail by kdm1000

Absolutely gorgeous!!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lyn, beautiful hollyhocks! Interesting story.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I've heard HH associated with outhouses but not for that reason ... interesting!

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to Dave's Garden and very new when it comes to growing hollyhocks. I've always loved them but never had the room to grow them until now. I purchase three potted HH this year from a local green house, only one has bloomed so far. All are doubles. Seeing these pictures I'm going to have to get seeds for some of the old fashioned single kind for next year. They are stunning!

Melanie

Thumbnail by countrymouse5A
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi, Melanie, welcome to DG! I think I'm going to give up on my hollyhocks - they just don't get enough sun.

Carrie

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi Carrie, thanks for the welcome. :) I have a nice sunny spot for mine so I'm hoping they do well.

Melanie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.