brown spots on leaves and bloom

York, PA

I'm new at doing pictures. I have some more which I'll try to post as well. One side of my yard (the side of this picture) get afternoon sun and has more clay soil than the other side. On this side, smaller blooms for all plants. On the other side, (morning sun and better soil) hydrangeas have large blooms and no brown spots. Irises and daylilies are large and full of blooms. So I don't know about the brown spots. There are also brown spots on a boxwood hedge plant on that side --which I'll also try to post.

Any ideas what is causing the brown spots on leaves and part of bloom??

This message was edited Jul 11, 2008 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by sucuqu
York, PA

ok, here is a shot of the 3 on the "bad side". next comes the "good" side

Thumbnail by sucuqu
York, PA

ok, this is on the side with morning sun and better soil. These look healthy upclose as well.

Thumbnail by sucuqu
York, PA

I just wanted to include the hedge that is on both sides of the sidewalk. This is on the "bad" side that is right next to the hydrangeas with some brown. the hedge on this side is more yellow compared to the hedge on the "good" side which is green.

Thumbnail by sucuqu
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hmmm... I'm just wondering what your weather conditions have been like? Your hydrangea pictures all look very healthy though overall. Have you been fluctuating between hot & humid days and then some wet, cool nights?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Plants that get afternoon sun can suffer from brown spots in the leaves and in the blooms. Additional water might provide some relief but be careful not to overwater so much that the roots then develop root rot

York, PA

Thanks to both replies. To medinac, yes, hot and humid and lately rainly and stormy. I'm not sure I can say cool anymore. But we did have a very rainy winter and spring and a cool spring. then the 2nd wk of June, 100 degree hot humid weather. (my hostas didn't appreciate that shock). after that week, we had a nice cool not humid week, and then basically our typical summer. I remember last year , that June was great for the Hydran. then by mid July, some browning and fading of colors. And yes, luis_pr, they do get the brunt of the sun. I try not to overwater, resist the urge to water when they're wilting and see if they recover by nighttime. thanks again, Su

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of mine get mostly all sun and will get the brown spots when it gets especially hot and humid for a prolonged time. I think the pictures of your hedge are due to the weather conditions. Your weather is pretty much in line with ours except we had an especially snowy winter and colder one than usual. Thinking back, you couldn't have proven to me any sign of global warming in Chicago anyhow! I always give mine water in the hottest part of the day when they're really wilting and so far so good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.